I have been using .dan.g.'s ToDoList for a very long time now. It's very easy for me to track things that I have to do and also track the projects on which I am working. But there was always a problem related to the creation of task list. My organization uses Microsoft Project (like many other companies) for tracking projects and the cost of development related to these projects. So, I had to make two tasklists, one for the company and the other for myself. ToDoList is much more simpler when compared to Microsoft Project and for daily tracking you don't need rocket applications (like Microsoft Project) to do the tracking. So, I decided to go ahead and make a converter for ToDoList, but the problem was Microsoft Project 2000 didn't support XML, it supported only CVS or tab separated files. Since there wasn't a standard format for the CSV or tab separated files, I chose to make two task lists. Microsoft Project 2002 version had something different, it supported the whole task list to be converted into an XML file and this XML format was standard. This gave me an idea to convert the Microsoft Project 2002 task list to the ToDoList task list.
Before you start using my converter for Microsoft Project, there are some points to be noted:
- Although ToDoList is made in VC, I have built this application in .NET Framework. Since I have worked with .NET technologies for the past two years, I am much more comfortable with .NET than with VC. The .NET Framework is Microsoft's latest venture, and all the future OS from Microsoft are inherently going to support it. But for now, you will have to download some software to actually make my converter work. See the Software Required section for more details.
- I have made this application keeping in mind the current XML format supported by ToDoList version 4.1.8. If there are any changes to the format of XML in the future versions of ToDoList, I take no responsibility for any loss of data or such stuff.
- There are other data which is been captured by MS Project, but my converter will just take the data required for the todolist application. So the converted XML will never be 100% convertible with the original MS Project XML.
You will require the following software:
Using the software
The converter is very easy to use. Following are the steps to be taken for using the converter:
- Save the MS Project 2002 or 2003 file as XML.
- Pass the XML file as a parameter to the command line utility by typing the following at the command line:
TODOListConverter.exe <XML File of Microsoft Project 2002 or 2003>
The converted XML file will be saved to the same directory as the input XML file with a "TODO_" prefixed to the file name.
- 20th January, 2006 - 1.2
- Modified the code to adjust to XML changes in MS Project 2003 (Courtesy : ChrisPM)
- Outputting the file as a ".tdl" file which is the default extension for todolist.
- 24th May, 2005 - 1.1
- Added functionality to link predecessors.
- Mapped hyperlink column data to file reference attribute.
- Modified the XML to automatically search for
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/project" string and remove it.
- Signed the assembly.
- 16th May, 2005 - 1.0
I have been working in software industry for the past 11 years, though i am trained to be a pharmacist. Enjoy working on complex and new technologies. Also cleared my SCJP and MCP certification examinations.