Introduction - What is VCalendar?
VCalendar (Virtual Calendar) is a web-based application for posting and maintaining events and schedules online, in calendar format.
The data is stored in a database centrally on a web server and users need just a web browser to access the VCalendar. No local software needs to be installed on the client machine and all web browsers available are supported.
The application itself can be installed virtually on a compatible web server, whether it is internal within a corporate LAN, or externally, hosted by a web hosting company. The distribution does not include any custom components and full source code is available for examination and customization.
Additionally, you may add your own logo in the header. VCalendar contains several predefined CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) styles, which can change the general look and the scheme of the application dynamically.
Some of the advanced features of VCalendar include:
- Localization features, with initial Internationalization in English and Russian, with language selectable by end-users
- Dynamic CCS (stylesheet) styles, selectable by end-users
- Annual, monthly, weekly and daily calendar views
- Multiple categories for classifying calendar events
- Recurring and all-day events
- Role-based user permissions and calendar configuration
The entire application is divided into seven modules namely:
- Calendar. The Calendar has four views:
Additionally the user can activate the Calendar Preview. The user is able to switch between the VCalendar views.
- Search events. Search allows the user to find events using some criteria.
- Add event. Add event allows adding a new event.
- Profile. The Profile displays profile details of the currently logged in user. The user details and password can be changed there. Also the user is able to see all own events there.
- Registration. The Registration allows a new user to register in the system.
- Login/Logout. The VCalendar has a Login/Logout facility to maintain secure access to the application. Also the user can retrieve the forgotten password there.
- Administration. The Administration screen lists all the activities that are available for application administrators. This screen helps the administrator to navigate to the required section by clicking on respective links.
- 15th March, 2006: Initial post