This article will present a fully functional ASP.NET web application file management system written in pure VB. It allows for user authentication (Forms authentication), and based off that authenticate to allow/disallow functions within the site. Functions include upload, delete, and view files along with the administrative routines. The user information can be stored in either a XML or a SQL database (SQL script is provided).
This application was designed to fulfill a baisc need while still demonstranting some key concepts including:
- Inheritance (Base Page methodolgy)
- Forms Authentication
- TripleDES encryption/decryption
- Data Access
- File Upload
How to install the application?
- Download and unzip the source files
- Setup as a web
- Ensure the process identity has write access to the bin/FILES/ directory and also the bin/XML/ directory if you are using the XML database.
- Browse the Default.aspx
- (Optionally you can uncomment the SQL section of the web config appsettings and run the SQL script located in the DataAccess\SQL Scripts directory.
- Login with the Admin userid (password is 'password' - suggest you change it)
- Have fun
I've used a lot of samples from Code Project over the years and thought it was time to give something back.
Feel free to use the code, it is my gift to the community.
Let me know of any suggestions and or improvements you come up with.