It was always a question to me how to be notified when a search engine robot like Google's reaches a website. On the other hand, I was wondering about receiving a notification as soon as Google explores my website.
I spent sometime on Google and searched the internet to see if I could find a trick or technique to employ to receive a notification once my website is hit by Google itself. The question is not why it is important to know when a website is crawled by Google, but how to achieve this goal?!
First of all, please don't expect this article to describe an algorithm or a lengthy sample code. This is only a small but useful technique. I ran into the following PHP code snippet in PHP on a weblog somewhere on the internet:
if ( strpos( $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'Googlebot' ) !== false )
$email_address = 'MyName@MyDomain.com';
mail($emai_address,'Google bot','The website is hit by google now.',
In the body of the above '
if' statement, an email is sent to MyName@MyDomain.com once the website is hit by Google. We can even send a notification to cell phones too if Google reaches a website. All we need is to substitute the code inside the '
if' block with a instructions to trigger an SMS to a cell phone via web, as it is described in this weblog.
- B.S. degree in Computer Engineering.
- 10+ years experience in Turbo C, Borland C , Visual C++ and Managed C++.
- Obssessed in OOP style design and programming.
- Desigining and developing Network security tools.
- Desigining and developing a client/server appliation for sharing files among users in a way other than FTP protocol.
- Desigining and developing ISP Subscribers account management by binding to Cisco tools (NtTac+), Reporting the results on the web by ISAPI method.
- Designing and writing code to build a search engine (Web crawler) by SQL Server 7.0 and VC++.
- On-board programming of non-boundary scan memory devices like flash memories by boundary scan (IEEE 1149.1) protocol in C# and J#.
- Designing and implementing GSM gateway applications and bulk messaging.
The summary of my skills:
C#, J#, Managed C++ code, VC++, MFC, Turbo Pascal, PL/I, SQL Server, MS Access, Windows NT administration, Web site developing, Macromedia tools, Webmastering, Cisco Routers.