Most of us use Visual Studio IDE in our daily programming and coding.So this article will tell you few tricks and tips by which you can enhance your productivity and efficiency.
Tips & Tricks
- Working in Full Screen Mode in Visual Studio
- Alt+Shift+Enter is the shortcut to enter to fullscreen mode in Visual Studio
- Its sometimes really helpful and more appealing for developers to work in
full screen mode
- For Copying a line in the IDE just go to the start of the
line and press Ctrl+C,there is no need to select anything
- For Pasting a line just go to the start of the line and
just press Ctrl+V
- For Deleting a line just go to the start of the line and
press Ctrl+X, this is not actually delete but its similar to
cut if you do Ctrl+X on current line and go to some other place in your code and
do Ctrl+V then it will paste the same line there.
- Expanding and Collapsing the code units
- This nice little shortcuts has saved me a lot of time.Whenever i am working
on a large piece of code i always get confused and make some changes in other
Method or property because they were looking similar.
- But now with this shortcut i collapse one method as soon as it is finished.
- The shortcut is Ctrl+M+M.
- Just go to the beginning or end of the method or property or any code block
and hit the shortcut it will expand or collapse the code block comparing to its
- If you want to collapse all your code units or blocks to their definitions
then the shortcut to achieve this is Ctrk+M+O or Ctrl+M Ctrl+O.This is
also a very handy shortcut which helps a lot in development.
- Automatic Text Indentation and Formatting
- This shortcut helps me to write beautiful and decorative code which is easy
to understand by any person.
- Shortcut is just press Ctrl+K+D.
- This works not only in C# and VB code behind but it works well in aspx
- If you want to just format the selected piece of code then just press
- Automatically adding Namespaces
- Use the Ctrl+. (Remember this is Ctrl+[period] if you get confused)
shortcut key to automatically get intellisense for probable namespaces.
- Just press enter to include the required namespace.
- There are much cooler tricks when using a refactor like Resharper.I will
discuss those tricks later this month in one of my posts.
- Commenting And Uncommenting The Code
- This trick saved me a lot of time.
- Just select the code to be commented and press
Ctrl+K+C,this will comment your code block.
- For uncommenting the code just press Ctrl+K+U,this will
uncomment the code block.
- Automatically generating properties
- Generating dummy getter and setters or properties is also a pain in big
- Although i would recommend you some refactors like Resharper which can do it
for you or some code generators like Code Smith and also give a try to inbuilt
on in Visual Studio 2008 called T4 or Text Template Transformation Toolkit.
- But if you don't have such a mass volume project and just don't want to
write your getter and setters then just type this prop +
- Remember you don't have to type all of this but you only type prop and then
press TAB two times for VS2008 to automatically generate the property for you
now you can change the name and any other thing by navigating and just pressing
- Increasing and decreasing the indentation
- Select the code block for which you want to increase the indentation and
after selecting just press TAB,this will increase the
- To decrease the indentation just select the required code block and then
press SHIFT + TAB,this will decrease the indentation of the
selected code block.
- Selecting a single word then line and then other lines within that
block and then.......
- This is also a cool trick if you are in middle of something and want to do
something on either the word you are on or the entire code block, or entire
method, or entire class then just go on pressing Ctrl+W,it will
start selecting for you starting from the current word.
- After selecting the desired code block you can perform any operation on that
- Build & Debug Shortcuts and tricks
- To build a solution just press Ctrl+Shift+B
- To start debugging just press F5
- To stop debugging just press Shift+F5
- If you are already debugging or your WebDev.WebServer.Exe is running or any
other webserver is running you can directly attach to that process escaping the
hussle to build again this is a great time saver.Remember always build or
rebuild if you have done some major changes but if simply you want to debug and
have done no changes in any other class library projects then you can use this
- Simply Press Alt+D+P then the Attach to process window will
- Simply choose your web server process to attach and you will see without
building your entire solution your solution has been attached to the debugger
- Find Options
- You are already familiar with Ctrl+F option to find
something either in current documents or all open documents or entire project
or entire solution,but another find option is Ctrl+Shift+F,
this trick is helpful when you want all your results to be listed in a
find window rather then to navigate one by one in every file where the searched
- Switching Between Design And Source Views
- F7 is the key used to switch between design and source (ie
c# or vb files) views in IDE
- If you want to just toggle the markup's design and source view or want to
view both then press Ctrl+PageDown
- Some other common used shortcut keys which can be helpful
- Ctrl+Alt+L for opening Solution Explorer
- F4 for opening properties window
- Ctrl+Alt+X for showing the toolbox
- Ctrl+\+T for displaying the tasklist
- Ctrl+\+E for displaying the error list
- How to navigate between various opened tabs inside Visual
- Ctrl+TAB key will let you navigate between various open
tabs in Visual Studio IDE
- Going to Declaration and then again returning to the actual
- Just press F12 to go to declaration
And press Ctrl+-
to return back to the piece of code where you
Selecting Source Control Plugin
- If you are working in a team you probably will be using a source control
there are many options to choose SVN,Visual SVN,TeamFoundationServer,Source
Vault and Source Fortress and many others.
- But when selecting a client you have to mention it in Source Cotrol Plugin
Selection as shown below
I want solution for every project which i create
- If you want a solution for every project which you create then you have to
enable this as shown below
I am a Software Developer currently working for Ramp Technology Group India in Hyderabad.
My interest include working on latest Microsoft Technologies.
I have worked on various Technologies including Asp.net 2.0,Asp.net 3.5,C#,VB.Net,Linq,ORM's,SitefinityCMS,CSS,JQuery
Currently i am digging through Asp.net MVC and Jquery
You can visit me at my blog
Contact No:- +91-9347334788
Email Address:- firstname.lastname@example.org