Recently, I have been having a lot of algebra homework about graphing parabolas. It was a bit annoying doing the same process for all of my problems, so I decided to make a tool that will give me all the values I needed to graph:
- Vertex: Point where lines intersect
- Axis of symmetry: Line that will pass in the middle of the Parabola, in the X axis
- Y-intercept: Point where Y axis is intercepted, and X = 0
- Y-reflection: Another point to graph our Parabola
This code is really basic code, integers and decimals handling, so I will explain it a little bit.
decimal A = int.Parse(txt1.Text);
decimal B = int.Parse(txt2.Text);
decimal C = int.Parse(txt3.Text);
decimal Axis_Sym = -1 * B / (2 * A);
axis_sym.Text = Axis_Sym.ToString();
X = Axis_Sym;
Y = A * (X * X) + B * X + C;
vertex.Text = X + " , " + Y;
y_int.Text = X + " , " + C;
X_rf = X + X;
y_ref.Text = X_rf + " , " + C;
The code gets
string values from 3 textboxes in the form, it converts the
string value to
Int.Parse(String). Once we have the decimal values (I used
decimal in case the results of all the operations would come out as
decimals). I'll describe the formulas to get the required points.
- Axis of Symmetry: Here we find X =
-(B) / 2 * A
- Vertex: we need to get Y, so Y =
A(X)2 + B(X) + C so the vertex = (X, Y), a point in a coordinate plain.
- Y-Intercept : A point where X = 0, and the line touches Y axis =
- Y-Reflection : Another point to graph our line =
( (X - X), C )
So that's it. We are ready to graph all the points, Soon I will add the code that actually graphs the points in a coordinate plane.
Points of Interest
This program was made by a 14 year old kid. This tool turned out to be really helpful.
- 26th January, 2009: Initial post
I started to code at the age of 12, with visual basic i made an advanced webbrowser called "BlueFlame", which won a computer fair in 2007, Then i moved to c#, but kept on with visual basic, started the "Prox" project at the age of 13 , meant to be an open source project, the project consists in :
Making good software, Good looking software.