Click here to Skip to main content
Click here to Skip to main content

Tagged as

Go to top

SharePoint Server 2010 - Domain sid inconsistent

, 30 Mar 2012
Rate this:
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.
Recently I re-installed my SharePoint Server 2010 in a farm environment. I installed it on VMware Clone Virtual Machine (VM). Everything when well, I’m able to log in using local accounts. Then I realized that the VM should be on a domain. This is when all the drama begins.Join the domain but

Recently I re-installed my SharePoint Server 2010 in a farm environment. I installed it on VMware Clone Virtual Machine (VM). Everything when well, I’m able to log in using local accounts. Then I realized that the VM should be on a domain. This is when all the drama begins.

  1. Join the domain but run into “The following error occurred attempting to join the domain “ysatech”; the network path was not found”. To resolve this behavior, make sure that the IP addresses of the DNS and WINS servers on your network are specified correctly in your TCP/IP settings. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285182
    the network path was not found
  2. Ok, now I can login into the server using my domain account but can’t login to SharePoint Central Administration or any of the web applications using the domain account. I try to uninstall and reinstalled the SharePoint 2010 Server but no luck. The log file reveal the following error “Domain sid inconsistent”
  3. After some research, I found out that it has something to do with the Security Identifier (SID) of the operating system. It happened because I created a clone from a Virtual Machine that hosting the Domain Controller. I downloaded and ran the PsGetSid tool and confirmed that both servers were using the same SID.
  4. So the next step is to figure out a way to modify the SID. Found the solution on Google “How to change SID on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 using sysprep?” That web page provides a very clear instruction on how to use the The System Preparation tool (Sysprep) tool to solve the SID issue.
  5. Don’t forget to rejoin the domain again after running the Sysprep tool.
  6. The drama is not finished yet! I still can’t login using domain account. Eventually, uninstalled and reinstalled the SharePoint Server 2010 solved the issue.

I hope someone will find this post useful.

License

This article, along with any associated source code and files, is licensed under The Code Project Open License (CPOL)

Share

About the Author

Bryian Tan
Software Developer
United States United States
I have over three years of experience working with Microsoft technologies. I have earned my Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) certification. I'm a highly motivated self-starter with an aptitude for learning new skills quickly.

Comments and Discussions

 
-- There are no messages in this forum --
| Advertise | Privacy | Mobile
Web02 | 2.8.140916.1 | Last Updated 30 Mar 2012
Article Copyright 2012 by Bryian Tan
Everything else Copyright © CodeProject, 1999-2014
Terms of Service
Layout: fixed | fluid