I won't go into the why but I wanted to write what probably amounts to an integration test of an Entity Framework model.
I decided to use NUnit for this. Even though it's predominately for Unit Testing there's no reason why it can't be used for other
forms of testing. In fact I think the SpecFlow BDD framework eventually performs its tests
using NUnit: It's not what you've got but what you do with it!
The application I'm writing uses SQL Express but for my tests I wanted to create & destroy a database frequently and locally so I opted to use
SQL Server Compact Edition. This is pretty easy to do with
DbContext: just create an instance of it,
pass in either the name of the database or a Connection String, e.g.:
public void TestWithConnectionString()
var db = new DbContext("Name=Foo");
which references the following Connection String in the .config file:
As I'm going to be potentially creating many of these I wanted precise control over their name and location. This meant I didn't really want to use a Connection String
as this is more or less hard-coded in the .config file.
Instead I opted to create it programmatically. By default
DbContext expects to be using SQL Server in particular an instance of SQLExpress named .\SQLExpress. This is easily changed by replacing
with the factory class for SQL Server CE: SqlCeConnectionFactory.
The first parameter to the constructor is the type of the factory class which allows instances of different versions to be created.
This is simply the providerName as per the Connection String. The second parameter is the directory to create any new databases in.
The third parameter (unused in the example below) are options to append to the generated Connection String. The code below will result in the creation
of C:\UsersPete\TestDBs\bar.sdf assuming the directory exists and the user has appropriate permissions and bar.sdf does not already exist.
public void TestWithFactory()
var db = new DbContext("bar.sdf");
That's mainly it: A simple way to programmatically create databases. This code should really be moved
SetUp method and a corresponding
TearDown method added to delete the database; oh, and some tests!
I haven't got that far yet and the actual reason for writing the entry was for a short while despite specifying the directory for the databases,
i.e., C:\Users\Pete\TestDBs they were being created in the current working directory. This was because rather than just specifying
the name of the database as the argument to
DbContext I was passing the string "DataSource=bar.sdf" of which the name part appears
to be an absolute path and thus override that specified in the
SqlCeConnectionFactory. As only a file name is present it uses the current working directory for the path element.
If you've got the same issue (whether integration testing or not) this might save you a little time.