The way we use to Sysprep windows machine are changed in Windows Server 2008. I should admit that it's lot simpler and less painful to Sysprep Windows Server 2008 than any of the previous versions of Windows.
You can find complete detail about Sysprep on Sysprep for Windows Microsoft web site. In a nutshell, it allows us to re-use one of your virtual machine with new name i.e. to make cloned images on VPC or VMware etc. The Sysprep removes system specific information such as SID, reset Administrator password and reset the windows product activation.
Steps required to Sysprep Windows 2008 Servers:
- Run Sysprep.exe tool at the windows command prompt.
You can find Sysprer.exe at c:\Windows\System32\sysprep\sysprep.exe
- A System Preparation Tool 3.14 will be presented. Specify the following settings before clicking the OK button.
- Choose "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)" in the System Cleanup Action Setting.
- Check the "Generalize" check box to regenerates the computer security identifier (SID).
- Select "Shutdown" option for Shutdown configuration.
- Click "OK" to start Sysprep work.
- The Windows Server 2008 will be shutdown itself.
Note: If you have already copied VHD file (VPC) or VMDK file (VM Ware) for new virtual machine, then you can choose to select "Reboot" option in the Shutdown Options Settings in the Sysprep tool. Once you restart the Windows Server 2008 machine, you will see the following screen shot. After couple of minutes, you will be asked to specify Time Zone, Language and reset the admin password.
For more SharePoint article, please visit my blog site at www.mossgurus.com/adnan