Here is my first Android Application Development Tutorial. Since it's my first tutorial, I just want to show you how to begin deveopment of android application. So, in this tutorial, you'll learn how to install Android SDK
with Eclipse ADT Plugin
and make a new simple Hello, World!
project. Let's check it out.
To make this lesson simple, this tutorial divided into 3 main steps. You'll learn how to install Android SDK, Eclipse, and Eclipse ADT plugin. In last part, I'll show you how to create a simple Hello, World!
project. Enjoy it!
Android SDK Installation
- I'm using Windows 7 OS in this tutorial. So, maybe it'll be different if you use other Operating Systems.
- Make sure the latest Java Development Kit (JDK) installed in your system. If it's not installed, you can visit Java SE Download link to download JDK and follow the installation instructions.
- I assume you understand basic Java Programming and XML based script. If not, just google it and you'll find thousands tutorial in the web.
Eclipse IDE and ADT Plugin Installation
- Download the latest Android SDK from the official site: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
- Choose package based on your platform. (Because I'm using Windows, so I choose android-sdk_rxx-windows.zip)
- After download progress completed, extract the package and place it inside a folder (I'm using D:\android-sdk-windows\). You can place it in any folder, but you have to make sure there is no space character in file path.
- Open SDK Manager and choose what SDK Platform you want to install. You can also install add-ons, documentation, and code samples.
Note: if you've trouble when downloading SDK Platform (maybe you use it through office proxy server with authentication, or you have a slow connection so you have to download from anoher place), you can download directly SDK Package from http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml and addons from http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/addon.xml with your web browser.
- Okay, From this step, you've done Android SDK installation. Congratulation!
Creating Hello, Android! Project
- Download the latest Eclipse IDE from: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. You can use Eclipse IDE for Java Developers.
- After downloaded, extract the package and put in into a folder.
- Next, open Eclipse IDE and choose Window > Preferences.
- Choose Android and set your SDK Location. Click Apply and then OK.
- Next step, we'll install Eclipse ADT plugin. Choose Help > Install New Software...
- Choose Add..., Type Eclipse ADT for Name and http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ for Location like the picture below.
- After that, check Developer Tools and click Next to install. Accept every agreements and follow the installation instructions.
- Until this step, you've finished Eclipse IDE and ADT Plugin installation.
- Before we create an Android Project, we need to make Virtual Device. Open SDK Manager and choose Virtual Devices. Click New... to make a new Virtual Device.
- Set the option like the picture below (or you can set on your own option) and click Create AVD.
- Okay, that's all for Virtual Device. Next, open eclipse again. Open FIle > New > Project.... Choose Android Project and then click Next.
- Fill the options like 2 pictures below and click Finish.
- To test the application, click run button and choose Android Application if Run As windows appears.Wait until Virtual Device appears (It's very slow, depend on your system).
- Finally, you'll see something like this.
That's all I can show you right now. Wait for my next amazing tutorials. Keep fighting and do the best!