Very often, we need to have a control for browsing the user file-system in order to select files or folders in our applications. But Microsoft did not include a control like that with Visual Studio .NET, so I gave it a try and developed a ListView component very similar to the one used in Windows Explorer.
- Please note that Shell operations are not implemented and are not planned.
- The "My Documents" icon is not the good one.
- Use the System ImageList for retrieving the icons (pretty fast)
- Allows to get back to the parent folder (..), so you don't need a companion control or other button for doing that. (
Just drag the component onto your form and call the control's
Initialize() method in the form Load event.
So this is it. Maybe it will give you a good start for a more complete version.
- Thanks to Furty for his works with his
TreeView control. It gave me ideas for mine and I used the Shell32 stuff he discovered in coding his control.
SystemListView code developed and borrowed from Steve McMahon. Click here for his article.