Alternate Access Mappings is a feature of SharePoint which allows a website to function correctly under different URL scenarios, including, reverse proxies and load balancing. It is a common practice used by many companies for their internal and external users. Let me try to explain how to configure Alternate Access Mappings:
Let’s say you have top level site collection URL is http://ferdous-bs AND You would like to make URL http://internet.contesto.com for external user and http://intranet.contesto.com for internal user.
1. Go to Central Administration –> Alternate Access Mapping –>
2. Add host name(intranet.contesto.com) in the host file at c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts as same as below. Here you can use your server IP instead 127.0.0.1.
If you want to access from network then Complete the network configuration for the alternate URL that you are planning to map with http://intranet.contesto.com for internal user. It means IP has to be resolve when internal user hit on this URL.
3. Try to access the site from your server using http://intranet.contesto.com
4. Opps! You will get “Authentication Error” if you access from for Host Server but you can solve it using edit registry. Follow the instruction that I written at http://geekswithblogs.net/ferdous/archive/2011/01/06/authentication-error-with-sharepoint-application-which-uses-host-header-on.aspx
5. Now you should able to access your site from network or from server using http://intranet.contesto.com
Ferdous has industry level experience with SharePoint and has done several presentations and workshops on SharePoint. He also worked as SharePoint Consultant (CREDEM Italy, Robi etc) and Trainer (BASIS, JAXARA IT, LEADS Co.). He is currently working as SharePoint Architect at BrainStation-23. He also worked as Technical Project Manager for Congral LLC for managing revolutionizing Patient Centric Healthcare applications at the same company since 2009.
Before joining here, he worked for OT Group SPA and for Rockwell Automation in Italy. He worked on many international projects during his professional life. The major projects are included below:
Internal Enterprise Portal for Robi, Dhaka
nVision Solution for nSales A/S, Denmark
Shared Care Plan for Congral LLC, USA
Internet Banking Portal for the Bank of CREDEM, Italy
Document Management (DMS) for the Bank of CREDEM, Italy
MES solution for Rockwell Automation, Italy
Tourism for Travel Curve Inc., USA
and so on...
He is the author of several technical articles with over 49 articles published on http://mrbool.com where he is the Technical Author for the site and author of mssharepointtips.com as well. He is also founder of SharePoint Expert group.
Looking for a Offshore Development or partnership.............. in any development in Dot.Net & Sharepoint 2007,2010 Platform.
Search him in google by 'MJ Ferdous' to get all links, articles, profile etc
Contact him: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Production troubleshooting, maintainability and scalability
Document Management Solution