This is a summary of the details for the EuroCPean Spring 2004 Get Together in London.
Main Event Date: Saturday 13th March 2004
Location: London - For a quick link to a map of London you can use this MapPoint[^] map centred on London (although for some reason it is zoomed out a bit)
Programme of Events
Friday 12th March
- Nothing Planned - Thistle Islington seems to be the general meeting point.
Saturday 13th March
- 12:30: Meeting at the Thistle Islington. Restaurant Location TBC
- ?? Site Seeing ??
- 17:00: Evening Meal (Indian Restaurant - Location TBC)
- 18:30: Pub - The Globe[^] (near Baker Street Tube Station)
Map of the confirmed locations of this event.
People have already booked into these hotels:
- Thistle Hotel Islington (£65 per night from LastMinute.com) [4-star, 10 mins walk from Kings Cross]
Travel Inn - London County Hall[^] Near Waterloo station (where the Eurostar arrives into London)
Ibis Hotels[^] A reasonably inexpensive hotel group with two hotels in Central London and a number in the suburbs.
Expedia UK[^] - France[^] - Germany[^] - Netherlands[^] - Italy[^] An international hotel and Flight booking service. If your country is listed then you can book London hotels in your own language and currency.
LastMinute.Com UK[^] - Netherlands[^] - Italy[^] - Sweden[^] - Spain[^] - Germany[^] - France[^] - Belgium[^] This is a good resource for cheap hotels and flights. If your country is listed then you can book your hotel in your own language and currency.
Getting AroundThe London Underground (aka The Tube)
] You can down load PDF versions of the Tube map from here.
Getting to London
London is served by five airports: Heathrow[^] - Gatwick[^] - Luton[^] - Stansted[^] - City[^] Each has rail links in to the centre of London (see "Meeting Up" below for train services to the centre of London). Only Heathrow has tube stations (on the Picadilly line). Expedia and LastMinute.com (See above) can provide flights to London.
Map of the five international airports serving London.
] Cheap flights across Europe
RyanAir[^] The Irish Low Fares Airline with routes all across Europe
EuroStar[^] TGV style trains from Brussels and Paris to London.
Great North Eastern Railways (GNER)[^] Services to London up the East Coast Main Line including Leeds, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness and Aberdeen
Virgin Trains[^] Mostly operates from London up the West Coast Main Line - but also has routes to Cornwall and on the east coast.Midland Mainline
] Provide services from Sheffield, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester to London [Thanks to Ted Ferenc
If you are meeting people at stations you can access arrival/departure information from National Rail - Live Departure Board[^]. [Thanks again to Ted Ferenc for this info] Quick links to the main stations:
Map of the main railway stations with an indication of the main rail company serving it.
If there is any more information that you'd like me to add let me know and I'll get the article updated. If you have booked into a hotel not already listed above let me know and I'll add it to the list.
- Jan 8 - Initial Version
- Jan 9 - Added more rail information.
- Jan 10 - Added some annotated maps.
- Jan 11 - A little bit of reorganisation.
- Jan 22 - Added the list of suggested pubs (so far) that are in the centre of London.
- Mar 7 - Updated as more details get finalised. (Programme of Events section)
- Mar 9 - Updated as more details get finalised. (Programme of Events section)