This article describes Windows 8 application entry in Intel® App Innovation Contest 2013.
Contest Entry Details
- Targeted Platform: All-In-One
- Category: Games
- Overview: The famous leisure time pass game of tabletop football made available for your AIO device, actually I like playing foosball myself very much at my work breaks or university dorm room and I guess many football fans like me feel the same " src="http://www.codeproject.com/script/Forums/Images/smiley_biggrin.gif" />. When I saw the AIO for the first time (at a local Lenovo store), I knew that it would be ideal for a FoosBall game due to its full 180 degree flat tabletop touchscreen. The traditional game of tabletop football never made it big in digital market, firstly its obstructing playing it with keyboard and mouse and secondly tablets are too small for the game to be played ergonomically. Lenovo's innovative AIO is the perfect match and a deadly combo for this traditional board game to go digital just like the Air Hockey app that they are showing in their adverts. With rich features like arcade mode, vs mode, local challenges, custom downloadable themes and skins, online multiplayer mode, etc. this game is going to be an immediate huge hit in the market.
- Note: I posted this article assuming everyone knows about the traditional tabletop football game. If anyone is not familiar
with it, then please check it out here.
- Intended Uses of the Application: The Intended uses of application include a fun based traditional foosball table for the AIO PC with much more additional features to keep the users entertained and stuck to it. The application is targeted for a wide variety of football and gaming enthusiasts from the families get together and trips to college or workplace hangout this game is a perfect recipe to keep them entertained regardless of their age group. All the nice 3D UI of the game is being developed in Unity 3D game engine as I wanted to give it a professional look and feel. This game would be a perfect entertainer for the whole family kids and adults alike. Currently games are the top downloaded apps irrespective of mobile/tablet marketplace, A study of analytics on Google play and iTunes store had shown that staggering 66% of the marketplace revenues and 71% downloads come from games only, moreover Apple and
Google top 10 apps are mostly games too. This game can be a USP game for appup store AIO only because of its unique tabletop usability and game play features.
- Note: I took a survey of my friends, family members and colleagues (120 people approx) and 87% of them said that they would love to play this game on a AIO device
which indicates that this game has got a great market potential.
- Application Development Approach: The application is being currently developed in Unity3D gaming engine which comes with a very nice IDE to drag, drop build and manage all the assets of a game (3D/2D objects, textures, sounds, prefabs, etc.) and integrates the coding part with each object via wired listeners which can be coded in C# language in your favorite Visual Studio " src="http://www.codeproject.com/script/Forums/Images/smiley_biggrin.gif" />. I have just finished creating the 3D objects to be used in the game in Autodesk Maya. I chose unity game engine because I wanted to give my app a professional look and feel and also I have a good prior experience in developing games in unity, but initially I was disappointed to see that
Input.GetMouseButton() isn't emulating touch event on PC as it does on smartphone platforms then I tried using
Input.GetTouch but that too didn't worked after a little research I came to know that this is a native windows API calling problem and to remove this, I will be using W7Multitouch script that works without any external library and translates the touch inputs for a PC game (though its paid, but I'll buy it because I want to make a really polished game like temple run (which was also developed using unity only) for this AIO device ).
- P.S. for those who haven't heard of unity:
Unity is a game development ecosystem: a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D content; easy multiplatform publishing; thousands of quality titles already published , For independent developers and studios, Unity’s democratizing ecosystem smashes the time and cost barriers to creating uniquely beautiful games. They are using Unity to build a livelihood doing what they love: creating games that hook and delight players on any platform.
Why AIO: Lenovo Horizon is a device that is made to reinvent how the board games are played. Likewise shown in their adverts of Air hockey, casino and much more traditional board games are brought to the digital space. Foosball pro is doing the same thing reinventing the way its played digitally and huge screen, processing power, multitouch all the features of horizon PC make it an ideal fit for foosball.
How effectively does the Idea Submission demonstrate innovation and user experience?
The proposed application aims to reimagine and reinvent the way traditional tabletop football game is played currently. The size, the aspect ratio and widescreen all are amazing form factors that make the AIO device an Ideal match for the foosball table game. The idea brings in true innovative concept game that have never been done before (due to the complexity of gameplay on a regular PC and small size of tablet) just like the Air Hockey concept game that is shown in the adverts of Lenovo Horizon PC.
How effectively does the Idea Submission demonstrate usage of key technical enabling vectors?
The proposed application uses the key tech vectors in the following ways:
- Multitouch and Multi User experience which is essential for this game.
- Utilizing most of the common gestures for controls namely swipes and taps for navigating and powershots.
- Automated brightness/contrast adjustment (if ALS is available).
Coding Language to be used: C# and a bit of MEL scripting for ridging the models.
Models Developed for the game in
Maya (rendered using vray):
Wireframe side view zoom:
Vray rendered side view:
Using the Code
The game is currently under development. I just finished building the assets (3D models, textures and sounds) for the game. I will post the code once my app is complete:
Points of Interest
- Traditional Foosball table game re-imagined and reinvented for AIO devices.
- Multiple users can enjoy the game at the same time which makes it best for families' and friends' get together.
I will post the changes made to the article in each update.