VowExams is an app that would revolutionize exam-writing! It has some great features that can be of benefit to both students as well as instructors.
The app can be great for schools and learning institutions with focus on next generation technology giving their students an edge over the rest!
For years, institutions have been wasting tremendous amounts of paper, ink and other stationary by printing exams for students and asking them to write exams by hand.
Students face a test of physical endurance, rather than mental ability, by writing long exams and they should be given an option as to whether they prefer writing by hand or typing out answers.
Moreover, even for instructors, it is a pain to mark exams by hand and history has shown that this can lead to inconsistencies in evaluation.
VowExams provides a solution to all the above. Here's how:
With VowExams, instructors can prepare tests within the app itself or import already prepared exams in pdf or Word format.
For every course, students can have their Lenovo ThinkPads linked to their Instructors' Thinkpad.
At the time of exam, the instructor can wirelessly and securely send the exams to all the students present in the classroom.
Depending on the exam, the instructor's ThinkPad checks via Bluetooth (short-range wireless communication) to check which students are present, and only those students receive the papers. If the exams can be taken
from anywhere, then this step is skipped and everyone is sent the exam paper.
Once the papers are received, the students are not allowed to exit the application (not even Wi-fi) without submitting the paper. Thus, they cannot cheat!
The app also checks if a student's tablet has enough battery to last the entire duration of the exam. If not, the app warns students to plug in to a power source.
Students can either use the keyboard (by docking the tablet) or pen that comes with the tablet to write the exam.
Once the students finish the exams, they can submit it within the app itself (Wi-fi is enabled) and the instructor receives it wirelessly.
The instructor can mark the exams as they are received with a pre-specified marking scheme consistent for all students. The app also sends the marked exams back to students, on demand by instructor.
The app adjusts the screen brightness using the Ambient light sensor, as per the lighting in the room.
Moreover, if the exams consist of multiple choice questions, then students may even use hand-touch to select answers.
If calculator or other references are allowed in exams, then the app offers options to customize the exam environment settings. Example, students can access the calculator app on their tablet if it is allowed. Or access to a particular website can be allowed too.
Even drawing simple diagrams is possible with the built in ruler and drawing tools. If the designs are complex to be drawn and require paper, students can draw them on paper and upload them via Camera which checks if the photo has been taken within the exam period.
Less hassles to worry about. No more forgetting to sharpen pencil, no more forgetting eraser, pen, ruler, calculator etc. Pure exam fun…LOL!
The app can be extended in the future in the following 2 ways:
- Be used for quick tests or in-class quizzes or just to gauge student’s understanding of material during lectures, etc.
- To bridge the communication gap between students and teachers by providing an FAQ forum as well as option to instant message their classmates and teachers
Points of Interest
- Teachers and students can link tablets to provide/get tests wirelessly.
- Teachers can setup Exam Environment Settings like Exam Duration, In-class/Anywhere, Additional Resources Allowed, etc. Even different exam sets for different students can be made!
- Instructors can either import the exam onto their tablet (in .pdf or Word format) or make it in the app itself; then forward it to students during exam period.
- Students have all the freedom in the world to either write or type the tests
- The app provides a secure environment where students cannot cheat by disabling their access to Wi-fi and other applications until they submit their test
- All instructors and students have a secure login to their account and need it to receive and submit papers.
The app will be developed in .NET Framework using WPF for ultimate user experience. Wireless technologies - Bluetooth and Wi-fi would be used to connect to other tablets. Backend programming would be in Java.