Math wizard is a new challenging game which tests players speed and agility in solving basic arithmetic.
Competing is fun and makes boring tasks challenging and interesting. Math Wizard would be a game which students would love and parents would encourage.
The game displays a matrix of numbers (0-9) for each player. And a simple maths equation at the bottom of the matrix with two unknowns. Choosing the right pairs of numbers from the matrix will remove them those numbers from the matrix and generate a new equation to solve. Players have to finish up the entire matrix before others to win.
Fig 1. Mockup of game involving 2 players
For eg. In the fig shown 6 X 2 = 12 and 4 X 3 = 12 so choosing (2,6) or (6,2) or (4,3) or (3,4) will eliminate those numbers from the matrix and replace them with '-' as shown at various places in the matrix.
After this the equation will change to a different one. For eg. __ + __ = 14. So any of (7,7), (6,8), (8,6),(9,5),(5,9) will work. ( Only such equations will be shown which have at least one valid solution in the matrix). The first person to complete the entire matrix wins.
Same numbers would be present in the matrix for every player. (However their positions would be different for every player so as to avoid players from copying).
List of equations shown to each player would be same and in the same order as much as possible. The equation for a player will change only when that player solves that equation.
As game approaches, players consuming numbers in different fashions might lead to the next equation in the list having no solutions for that player. In such a case another equation with possible solutions would be presented from the list. In the case no such equation is there a equation with same difficulty involving same arithmetic operation would be presented thus maintaining evenness in the game.
Points are auto updated as players move through the game. Faster the player, he or she will solve more equations in the same time thus increasing their points.
Using the code
I will use C# and Visual Studio 2012 to develop this application.
The main challenge in this will be developing an algorithm which effectively shows equations with harder to find solutions as I want the game to be challenging.
Also I want the game to adjust difficulty level according to the player (assuming a player is in 3rd grade and is taking too long to solve factors of bigger numbers , he can be presented with easier calculations).
This section will be continuously updated as project progresses.
The app will be developed as follows:
- Single player game involving solving matrix and scoring would be developed.
- The same module would be used to make the game multiplayer for upto 5 players (as most of the code will remain same).
- Support for playing the game using smartphones as remotes would be added enabling players to play from anywhere in the house (basically as long as they are on same Wi-Fi) and also more players to join in on the same game.
- Local leaderboard will be added.
- This will be extended to a global leaderboard. Players will be able to login using either Facebook or Google.
- Game will be extended to include a time limited version.
- More improvements to be identified and added.
Intel® All-in-One (AIO) enabling vectors
- 5 players each using two fingers (to speed up their game) will require the device to support multi-touch ability which AIO does with its 10 point multitouch display.
- A user can play using his smartphone as remote by connecting with game. This will be made possible using the Intel® Common Connectivity Framework (Intel® CCF).
Points of Interest
- As many as 8 people can join in on one game. Upto 5 players can join on AIO and rest on their smartphones.
- Players will be able to compare their scores on worldwide leader-board.
- Worldwide players recorded comparable scores will also be shown along side player scores at regular time intervals to motivate them.
- A time limited version of the game will be present in which players have to solve maximum equations in a given time. Instead of getting removed from matrix, used numbers would be replaced by new numbers to accommodate even the fastest player.
- The fun way for school students and adults to improve their math skills and speed.