This page is dedicated to collecting resources related to testing of ASP.NET applications. There are a number of tools and techniques available for testing ASP.NET applications.
- TestCafe allows you to record and run web tests on any desktop or mobile browser without plugins or emulators. TestCafe is 100% web-based and loads in the same browser you are testing against. There’s no need to load additional tools or switch between browsers during test recording. TestCafe is operating system agnostic so you can run tests on Windows, Mac or Linux machines.
- WatiN is a managed code wrapper around the Internet Explorer browser object an underlying document object model. The wrapper can be used for simply automating Internet Explorer, but it often used to support automated functional tests.
- Web Tests as part of Visual Studio Team Tester Edition (and Team Suite) provide a way of automating tests by tracing the HTTP traffic between the client and the server.
- WebAii is a commercial tool (like Team Test Edition/Team Suite) which also automates the browser. It is different from WatiN in that it can also automate FireFox.
- Testing for Architects This session is about how testing influences architecture, and how it helps architecture. We discuss the various types of testing - functional testing, non-functional testing (load tests, stress tests, etc.) and touch upon performance testing - what counters to look for, what some interpretations are, etc. We also look at testing in the current RIA / SOA world. We also look at Microsoft's offerings in the testing arena, and how to leverage these tools well.
- NUnitAsp - ASP.NET unit testing
NUnitAsp is a tool for automatically testing ASP.NET web pages. It's an extension to NUnit, a tool for test-driven development in .NET.
- Ivonna, an Asp.Net unit and integration testing tool.
Ivonna, unlike many other tools, lets you run your tests in the same process as the Web under test. Since the Asp.Net runtime is hosted, you don't need a Web server to run your tests. You have access to the page and control instances, can execute postbacks, modify config settings or swap the web.config file, mock dependencies, etc.
Ivonna is a commercial tool that runs on top of TypeMock Isolator. Open source developers get a free version.
- The Wrox book Testing ASP.NET Web Applications. Covers all phases and aspects of testing including Unit Testing, TDD, Integration Testing, Automated UI Testing, Performance testing, security testing. Covers many testing tools including nUnit, VS test suite, WCAT, Selenium, Fiddler, Firebug. Free article samples from the book include Unit Testing ASP.NET Web Forms and Design and Test Driven Development.
The ASP.NET Wiki was started by Scott Hanselman in February of 2008. The idea is that folks spend a lot of time trolling the blogs,
live-searching for answers to common "How To" questions. There's piles of fantastic community-created and MSFT-created content out there, but if it's not found by a search engine and the right combination of keywords, it's often lost.
The ASP.NET Wiki articles moved to CodeProject in October 2013 and will live on, loved, protected and updated by the community.