Unity is a 3D engine, right? Not quite – now it’s more. It comes with a dedicated and streamlined 2D workflow. With the release of 4.3, unity added the in-house 2D platform for game development.
I started searching for tutorials and documentation to understand what is different in 2D development compared to Unity 3D development?
As 2D is introduced very recently, there are very few resources for learning. I took this small task of aggregating those resources here.
- The best and in fact a step-by-step guide to understand 2D gaming terminologies like sprites, asset management etc. Learn
- To understand animating sprites, 2D physics and workflow nothing can beat Jesse Freeman’s take on Unity 2D. Learn
- The video version of pixelnest’s text tutorial will help you understand 2D development more easily Learn
- From Sprites to 2D components, this topic specifically contains content for 2D game development Learn
- Demo project from unity3D -Open (To learn how to import the demo project, click here)
In Learn Unity for 2D Game Development, targeted at both game development newcomers and established developers, experienced game developer Alan Thorn shows you how to use the powerful Unity engine to create fun and imaginative 2D games.
This package includes everything you need to learn the basics of Unity 2D. You’ll get a well-designed, easy to follow PDF guide packed full of the content you’ll need to start working with Unity 4.3’s new 2D workflow.
Stay tuned to this post as I will be adding more and more content as I come across them during my learning curve….GAME.LEARN.ENJOY
Filed under: unity Tagged: 2D games, 2D platform, game development, learn unity2d, learning unity, unity 2d, Unity engine, Unity: Learn 2D Game Development