The Xdebug extension helps you debugging your script by providing a lot of valuable debug information.
Before you install xdebug you should have PHP5 and Apache2 already working properly. Use the terminal to execute the following steps.
- Install the latest version of xdebug in PEAR repository:
sudo apt-get install php5-dev php-pear
- Install xdebug through PECL:
sudo pecl install xdebug
- Now, you need to find the path of the compiled module (xdebug.so):
find / -name 'xdebug.so'
Copy the found file-path to use in the next steps.
- Now we need to configure xdebug with PHP5, so open the php.ini file (usually you'll find it in /etc/php/apache2/php.ini) use gedit to edit the file:
sudo gedit /etc/php/apache2/php.ini
OR, use the pwerful text editor vim:
sudo vim /etc/php/apache2/php.ini
- Add the following lines to the file [Note that the first line should contain the file path found in step number 3]:
- Finally, you need to restart apache for the changes to take effect:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
To verify that the extention is loaded and configured correctly, check the phpinfo()
The following line should have been appended to the copyright lines:
with Xdebug v2.0.0, Copyright (c) 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, by Derick Rethans
For full xdebug extention information, please read the official documentation at http://xdebug.org/docs/