I do not know how this happened, but it did. Running XP with external USB HDD with four partitions. One partition name just disappeared. Disk Manager reported correct size and “healthy”. Explorer had “Local disk” for name and reported disk corruption when I tried to open it. Windows Task Manager Performance was hovering around 100% and my start up programs ( about 5 ) would take forever to load and everything else was just crawling. There were no unusual Processes running. Virus scan took forever and reported no problems. Finally the 100% usage problem disappeared by unplugging the USB HDD. The faulty partition was just a temp, luckily, so I rebuild it and all is fine.
Any speculation why the OS was overloaded and with what?
Sounds like it could be a file system mini-filter or legacy filter driver. You can query the FltMgr and check for attached mini-filters. Open an Administrators prompt after connecting the USB HDD and type:
Thanks for reply. There is also another weird thing happening. Periodically I get the "Autoplay" running for no apparent reason. I have not looked at it in any details, since it always happen when I do develpment. Than I do not want to futz with it then. What really bugs me - after total power down the original disk name will be back. But it makes me nervous because the first time this happend it never came back with the original drive. But it definetly affects USB devices only. I'll have to learn more about USB.
What you are describing would be consistent with my previous post. Many USB disks have an auto-play INF that installs device drivers for encryption or other purposes. I *highly* recommend that you disable auto-play.
The reason your auto-play prompts you randomly is probably because; 1.) have auto-play enabled and 2.) one of your disk devices is becoming detached/attached. When the hardware arrival event fires auto-play will probably prompt you if you have it configured in this way.
The reason your USB disk device is randomly attaching/detaching could range from faulty USB connector... all the way to driver conflict. In the past I have seen this happen when a security product would scan for USB devices.