|Prerequisite: .NET Framework 2.0, you can download it from Microsoft's site
1. Download binary from this link and unpack it anywhere on your disk (.exe and .config file must remain together)
2. Double click on WordAutoSaver.exe to start the program
3. Select monitor directory - directory where you save your word files. DO NOT select root directory (C:\\ or D:\\ or any other) but rather go deeper into structure (C:\\Documents is OK)
4. Select archive directory - where your files will be archived. Again - DO NOT select root directory
5. 'Save files from last x minutes' setting allows you to influence how often backup process will be triggered. If you select 10 minutes, than your file will be backed-up every 10 minutes
6. 'Send (CTRL+S)', your file will not be backed up if it hasn't changed in that, previously mentioned, 10 minute period. If you are one of those persons that forgets to Save their document, check this box and WordAutoSaver will send CTRL+S for you every time before starting the backup of file (kinda like AutoSave).
7. 'Delete files older than x minutes', you of course do not wish to keep backup files in archives for too long (after all you are saving them in your normal directory) which can be influenced with this setting - default is 2 days (2 * 24 * 60).
Couple settings that are not exposed in UI (they are embedded in config file):
-MonitorFilter1: filter used for finding files to backup in MonitorDir
-MonitorFilter2: another field if you wish another file type
-MonitorProcessName: name of process (in your TaskManager) that you want to target for sending CTRL+S
(You can change these settings to MonitorFilter1: *.xls, MonitorProcessName: EXCEL, in order to have same AutoSave functionality for Excel)
-StartMinimized: if you want to have WordAutoSaver start with Windows (by coping shortcut to it into Start Menu -> Startup), you'll probably want to start it minimized (replace False with True)
That's it. Leave comments/contact me if you run into any kind of problems.
*Utility is dedicated to my friend Stephen Vizinczey -> http://stephenvizinczey.com/