Hi there, I just want to get some opinions on which tool to use to diagram an ER Picture of a DB model having approx 900 tables, but ....
I have tried a few (Erwin, Aqua Data Studio, Powerdesigner and a few more - even tried Visio). All have problems because I just have the tables - no modelled relations (a pretty bad model but that's the fact). A few PK's almost no FK's. All this is in the code layer or even in the head of the developer only. I want to put all this together to graficaly illustrate our data structure.
What I need to get this job done is
- reverse engineer to have a starting Point (Oracle 11 and MSSQL2008) to have all tables in this tool (on a hidden layer if possible)
- Select some tables and copy them (link) to a new layer to switch visibility depending on the development task that i want to give to a developer
- Display compact (square with table Name, and PKs only). Hide all other columns
- a good way to arrange everything on Screen to avoid crossing Relations and to nicely arrange every table and relation
- toggle visibility of a layer
- a certain table appears on more than one layer depending on the development tasks
- something that makes it all "nice" to present to the Boss.
- crow feet Notation
I more search a documentation type of drawing tool rather than a physical modelling. Some of the tested tools started with creating "alter table add column" scripts that immediately change my DB. This is something I dont need.
Any idea out there?
Any tools avail that accomplish this task?