I renamed a database using the ssmse2k8 interface a long time ago. I was reflecting the addition of a new drive on the system by appending a "W" to the existing name.
Today, a year and a half later, I ran:
SELECT * FROM sys.master_files WHERE [type_desc] = 'ROWS'
And the database [name] came back as the pre-appendage name without the "W"!
I've tried backup of the renamed database, tried DROP of the database, and have REATTACHED the database. While the new .mdf and .ldf from the BACKUP now have the correct name with the appended "W", the query results still gives me the old name.
I'm using the sys.master_files because I can't seem to find any other group method to iterate through the databases on this instance.
And I'd like to fix the problem not just tack a "W" onto the [name] I get using a concatenation.
Not only is the [name] incorrect, even after restart ...
but the [physical_name] of the master_file is reported as the new name.