These are the thing coming to my mind
1. Decide a texture format say RGB888 and image size but be a power of 2
2. assuming you know how to setup basic opengl things(creating context,seting up projection matrix)
3. Now load the bitmap , and assign the pixel values to a pointer. say 'p'
4. now enable texturing with glEnable(GL_TEXTURE2D)
5. Then you need to create a texture and copy the pixels pointer 'p' to that texture
6. Create texture use glGenTexture function, this will returns an unsigned integer id for that texture
7. Bind that texture to GL_TEXTURE2D using glBindTexture function
8. copy your pixels to texture using glTexImage2D (or you can use gluBuild2DMipmaps but it needs glu library,this function can take image of any size.)
9. Now draw a rectangle using glBegin(GL_QUAD) etc statements and set appropriate texture coordinates for each vertex.
By this time it will work
also checkout the tutorial at http://nehe.gamedev.net/tutorial/texture_mapping/12038/
Hope this helps