Click here to Skip to main content
Click here to Skip to main content
Technical Blog

Tagged as

SharePoint: Getting Authentication Login Prompt When Trying To Open Office Document With Unique Permissions

, 14 Aug 2013 CPOL
Rate this:
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.
The problem is in opening an Office document which is saved in SharePoint 2010: When a user has a "read" permission only to a specific document in a document library, but do not have any permissions in the document library level nor the site level. When he is accessing the document, he recei

The problem is in opening an Office document which is saved in SharePoint 2010:

  1. When a user has a "read" permission only to a specific document in a document library, but do not have any permissions in the document library level nor the site level.
  2. When he is accessing the document, he receives the "Download File" message with "Open" / "Save" / "Cancel" options. When clicking "Open", he is prompted with a user & password message.
  3. When clicking his correct user and password, the user & password message remains – nothing happens.
  4. Only when clicking "Cancel" in the user & password message, the document opens.
  5. Users who has read permissions in the document library level or the site level – manage to open the document successfully, meaning are not prompted with the user & password message after clicking "Open" (it opens the document).

We tried with several users, all get the same result.

During our checking, we also found out that the following dll returns "401 Unauthorized": /_vti_bin/_vti_aut/author.dll

Finally we opened a  service request and got a solution from Microsoft.

There are 3 possible ways to solve this issue:

1. Add read only permission in the root of the site collection.

2. Deactivate the feature “ViewFormPagesLockDown”:

stsadm -o deactivatefeature -url http://SERVERNAME/sites/SITENAME -filename ViewFormPagesLockDown\feature.xml

3. Run the following script on your site collection, this will add permission level to the “Limited Access” Permission level that you have in that site collection.

$siteCollectionUrl = 'http://sitecollectionurl'

[void][system.reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.sharepoint')

$spsite = new-object Microsoft.sharepoint.spsite($SiteCollectionUrl)

$lmtd = $spsite.rootweb.RoleDefinitions['Limited Access']

$b1 = [Microsoft.sharepoint.spbasepermissions]::Open

$b2 = [Microsoft.sharepoint.spbasepermissions]::BrowseUserInfo

$b3 = [Microsoft.sharepoint.spbasepermissions]::UseClientIntegration

$b4 = [Microsoft.sharepoint.spbasepermissions]::UseRemoteAPIs

$lmtd.BasePermissions = "$b1,$b2,$b3,$b4"

$lmtd.Update()

I tried the second solution and it worked like a charm .

I would like to thank Gal Sagi for helping me with this article.

Hope you find this article handy

License

This article, along with any associated source code and files, is licensed under The Code Project Open License (CPOL)

Share

About the Author

Alex Choroshin
Software Developer (Senior) E4D
Israel Israel
Alex Choroshin is working as a Consultant/Web Developer at LogoUi company , he has a vast experience developing client side solutions and single page application using the latest web technologies: HTML5, CSS3 , AngularJS, JQuery, SignalR, ASP.NET MVC4, Web API, NodeJS etc.
 
Also experience with the SharePoint 2010 & SharePoint 2013 platform encompassing all the aspects of SharePoint architecture and development.
Follow on   Twitter   LinkedIn

Comments and Discussions

 
-- There are no messages in this forum --
| Advertise | Privacy | Terms of Use | Mobile
Web04 | 2.8.150326.1 | Last Updated 14 Aug 2013
Article Copyright 2013 by Alex Choroshin
Everything else Copyright © CodeProject, 1999-2015
Layout: fixed | fluid