This is the TS Constructor readme file :
This program emulates in principle the construction of Transport Stream (TS)
for HDTV standard.This is done by multiplexing more MPEG2 Elementary Streams (ES). First ,
ES files are packed as Packetized Elementary Stream (PES) packets wich can have a variable
length.Then the PES packets are multiplexed into TS packets wich are of fixed length
(188 bytes) and form the final TS.
Offcourse,this program doesn't do the real thing (that means that you can't multiplex
multiple MPEG2 files to form a HDTV channel and watch it).It's in fact a speed aproximator
who works within the following parameters :
- files are generated by the program
- the user can specify the number of files (min. 1 , max. 99)
- the user can specify the length (in Mb) of files (min. 1,max. 99)
- each file contains a different character repeted for the entire file length
- the user can specify the length of a PES Header (min. 0,max. 255 bytes)
- the user can specify the length of a PES Packet (min. 4,max. 65535 bytes).This parameter
also it's corelated with the PES Header Length
- the user can specify how many PES Packets are kept in Buffer for an ES file , the
Buffer Length setting (min. 1,max. 99)
- the user can specify the type of TS to produce (Carrier setting):
- "File" : - the entire TS will be sent to "result.ts" file wich can be viewed later
by the user to observe the process of multiplexing (! space consuming !)
- "Emulated Network" : - more apropiate to the real thing,each pachet it's sent to
a emulated network,only the last one remaining in the
"result.ts" file (! faster !)
- the user can view an efiency diagram (See Diagram button) after a simulation , wich
can give an ideea about the eficiency of the TS creation process at certain moments.
- HDD aproximate space consuming indicator for current settings
- HDD current partition space left indicator
- Guard feature ( you can't start a simulation wich will consume more
space than you have avaible )
- Calendar ( About window )
- ON/OFF Vertical & Horizontal Grid ( Digram window )
- Legend for the TS output window ( Legend button ) wich permits the user
to read & understand the "result.ts" file output.
- SelfCleaning provided by the "Delete al ES files" & "Delete TS file" wich
allows simple cleaning of generated files
- Progess Bar indicator for ES generation ( ! the generation of big ES files
can take some time)
- Progress Bar indicator for TS construction ( ! this indicator works on
the estimated number of TS packets wich can be lower than the real one,
so small delays between the indicator and the end of TS construction
might appear in case of big output files and depending of settings)
- Benchmark possible role
- the length of PES packets it the same for all packets (audio style),
meaning that the case of video streams is not simulated
- the "Adaptation Field" in TS packets is missing (might mean a slighty
slower speed in real case than the simulation)
- the resulting speed might depend on your system's jobs for that time,
meaning that a Windows process who just start running during your
simulation may influence the outcome
- the Digram might become unreadable for large size TS outputs,because
the quantity of data to be processed by the graphic
- because the .NET FrameWork required to run the application,this might
work slower on some computers ( depending on the operating system ) or
even not work at all.
- no visualisation of files implemented.To view the content of ES files or
the TS file use a default file manager ( WinCommander Run Version
5.11 included in package )
- IBM PC or compatible system
- Windows '98 or later ( XP recomended )
- At least 2Mb free HDD space
- DotNET FrameWork 1.0 or later ( version 1.1 included in package )
- At least 1Mb RAM free system memory
- avoid running "BIG" simulations , like 99 files of 99 Mb each. It works
but generation time it's huge and simulation time might also doesn't
deserve the effort.
- when running "BIG" simulations (over 500 Mb TS output) make sure you have
at least 10% more disk space than the space required indicator shows,because
that's an aproximated value that might underestimate the real size of your
output (variable on the settings you chose)
- use the DELETE buttons before leaving the program , your HDD space might
be at stake.
- chose a setting for "Number of Files" and "File Size" within reasonable
limits and then play with the rest of the settings ( Buffer Length , PES
Header Length , PES Packet Length and Carrier ) to observe how your system
it's running in different conditions.For example , if you'll set a high
Buffer Length ( like 99 ) you'll see that on the diagram the eficiency
reaches it's maximum towards the end , when reading it's done exclusive
from the buffer ( and RAM speed it's higher than HDD's)
- Don't try to run this program from CD,it won't work
- This program does't requires installation,just copy the folder
to your HDD and run it.
- This program is freeware , no license needed.
- DotNET FrameWork it's a freeware Microsoft Support product
- WinCommander it's a shareware product
BENCHMARK POSSIBLE ROLE :
If you have no interest in MPEG2 multiplexing for HDTV you might still find
find this program interesting as a benchmark for different systems.
For example , running this program on diferent systems and even on different
operating systems might give an indicator of the system's overall performance.
Keep in mind that the CARRIER setting it's making the difference between the
components you test
- "File" : tests HDD & CPU with the accent on HDD test.
- "Emulated Network" : tests the CPU mainly.
- Intensive use of this program can stress your HDD
PRODUCT : TS Constructor version 1.0
RELEASE DATE : 29th of March , 2004
DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM : Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2002 , C#
DEVELOPMENT LANGUAGE : English
AUTHOR : Angel
E-MAIL : firstname.lastname@example.org
By viewing downloads associated with this article you agree to the Terms of Service and the article's licence.
If a file you wish to view isn't highlighted, and is a text file (not binary), please
let us know and we'll add colourisation support for it.
Dumitru Bogdan - alias Angel
Born 1980 , Brasov , Romania
Final year student at Transilvania University of Brasov , Faculty of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science , Department of Electronics & Computers
Programming : Visual C++ , Visual Fox Pro , Assembler & later , C#
Motto : "Nothing Last Forever" , and software is no exception