Comments by Michael Bergman (Top 6 by date)

Michael Bergman at 12-Nov-12 0:42am View

You are, of course, right about Release(). I knew that but I must have conflated that with another call that I made to access the object.

I don't think I can be more specific as this was five years ago, I but I think I can describe the problem a little more thoroughly.

There are three components:
1. An ActiveX control hosted in an application.
2. An Out-of-Proc COM Server which does work for the ActiveX control. The COM Server instantiates when call upon by the ActiveX control and closes when the ActiveX control closes with its host application.
3. Another Out-of-Proc COM Server which does work for the first COM Server. It is instantiated when the first COM Server calls it and it closes when it is released.

The problem is that the second COM Server crashes. We couldn't fix it because it was using propriatary API that we needed and that API was extremely buggy. Needless to say, it was a Microsoft API so we couldn't get them to fix it.

So what happens is:
ActiveX calls Server 1, gets a reference to Server 1
Server 1 call Server 2, Server 2 gets a reference to Server 1
Server 2 crashes,
Server 1 re-instantiates Server 2
Server 1 call Server 2 and get what it needs, Server 2 gets a reference to Server 1
Server 1 closes Server 2, Server 2 releases its reference to Server 1.
ActiveX host closes ActiveX control and releases its reference to Server 1
Server 1 does not close

Server 1 does not close because it still thinks the Server 2 which crashed still has a reference to it.

We were able to work around this problem, but it was a kludge. I was just wondering if anyone else had this particular problem (which I should have written more clearly the first time) and if they were able to resolve it.

Thanks for responding
Michael Bergman at 12-Oct-12 23:14pm View

Because I did not find it.
Why did you vote my question down?
Michael Bergman at 20-Aug-12 11:58am View

Yes, I've looked at it briefly. I may have to go back and slog through the standard document, but, being the lazy person that I am, I was hoping there was a simpler way to get to the information I want. Thanks.
Michael Bergman at 4-Aug-11 12:08pm View

SymFromName, like SymGetModuleInfo64, expects you to provide an structure for it to fill out so you are not really getting any addresses from dbghelp, you are providing an address to dbghelp so it can give you information for you to use as you want.
Michael Bergman at 4-Aug-11 11:58am View

Ouch! I just saw what you did wrong. In your code you declare:

PIMAGEHLP_MODULE64 mod_Image;

This is an uninitialized pointer. You should have declared:

IMAGEHLP_MODULE64 mod_Image;
mod_Image.SizeOfStruct = sizeof(IMAGEHLP_MODULE64);
BOOL retVal = SymGetModuleInfo64(g_hProcess,dwBaseAddr, &mod_Image);

at that point mod_Image should be filled out and you own it.
Michael Bergman at 4-Aug-11 11:49am View

Can you be more specific about what you want to do?
Thanks.