Smart Client Application based on the No touch deployment.
- Installing and configuring web service and web site for the smart client application:
- Unzip and copy the both folders in the wwwroot folder of your machine or to some other folder of your own convenience.
- On run type intemgr (or open Internet information services manager). Expend till default web sites. Create virtual directory for both web site (Smart client) and web service.
- Make sure that smartclient.aspx is added in the documents tab.
- Open tab Directory Security and click on anonymous access and authentication control and click on edit button make sure that Anonymous access check box is checked.
- Click ok on this form and parent form and close it.
- Do the same configuration settings for the web services too.
- Web site virtual directory property changes to allow exe to execute:
Config handler project and adding Config handler to the web site:
- Again open internet information services manager (run inetmgr).
- Click on the virtual directory of the web site (not the web service)
- View the properties of the virtual directory.
- Click on configuration button on the directory tab.
- Click on the add button and add a reference of dll C:\your windows folder \Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll for the .exe extension.
- Click on ok on all the windows and now exe is ready to be executed from the site.
Accessing web service from the smart client application:
Now you can test run this application.
Launching application from the web page:
Passing parameter to smart client (NTD) application
- Friends it's as simple as accessing any other webpage from the same or any other site. Just give location of your application in this site and a link tag and you application is ready to work.
- Place the application in the root folder of your website.
- <a href=" ./SmartClient.exe">SmartClient.exe</a>
- You can even pass a parameter to windows application
<a href=" ./SmartClient.exe?PRM=xyz">SmartClient.exe?PRM=xyz </a>
or multiple parameters to your application like
<a href=" ./SmartClient.exe?PRM=xyz&PRM1=abc">SmartClient.exe?PRM=xyz&PRM1=abc</a>
- You need different handling for the parameters passed to your application which we are going to discuss in the next section.
Clearing GAC or changing version of the application every time you rebuild it:
Working with application:
- When you are finally ready to work on it just type the URL http://localhost/smartclient/
- There are 3 links on the page in a table which will launch application with no parameters (click on SmartClient.exe link) other with one parameter where user has to specify his/her name (click on Click here SmartClient.exe?prm=xyz link) which will display user name on the title bar. 3rd one with 2 text boxes where user is suppose to give 2 values which will be added when application is launched.