<!-- Download Links -->
This is the apex of spaghetti code. Its poorly designed and needs a lot
of TLC. So why am I releasing this? Well, because you might find this useful to
just use. Or you might even hack this a bit yourself!! :)
What it does
It opens your default Outlook2k profile and dumps the item types you select
to a directory. I assume Outlook will ask you for a default profile if you
don't have one, but I haven't tested this.
How to use it
- Check the item types you want to export
- Select a directory to export to.
- Click export button
Why I did it
I have been spending most of my time in linux, and booting into win2k just
to get access to my PIM data, e.g. outlook. This sucked. Since MS insists
on entrapping you by providing decent import abilities but abysmal export
features, I needed to hack this thing up so I could get out.
My strategy to escape Outlook.
- Deal with calendar (tasks/appointments)
- Deal with contacts
- Deal with email store
Take all my appointments and dump each one to disk in iCAL format. This
required me to read rfc and
spend many wonderful hours figuring that out. Then I had to take all my contacts
and dump in vCard, rfc, which
was surprisingly easy.
The biggest issue was all my email (500MB PST file). I didn't want to hack
an mbox interface, and I didn't want to link with
for a simple export util. My solution? Setup an IMAP server on my
spare linux box and copy all my email folders to an account there.
I used qmail and
Life with qmail or
Qmail Tutorial on linux.com. This had the benefit that I didn't have to deal with attachments, a concern
since that meant yet another RFC. Besides, it only took a few minutes instead
of the hours an mbox interface would have taken.
The Code you should read:
Everything else is typical boring MFC <-- fruit of the devil.
It doesn't deal with journal items at all.
- Todo/Task list is not handled at all
It dumps Note items as text
No profile support yet, it uses default profile.
Multiline body/comments in appointments/tasks are whacked. There is no
way to take a bunch of lines and insert them into iCAL/vCard. So the solution
was to replace all \r\n with \\. Now everything is on one line but it looks
nasty. Better than losing data I suppose.
Binary data/attachments are not handled at all, period. If its not text
native to the item, it doesn't go anywhere. When I wrote this, olexp was not doing line folding/unfolding
Plans that I have
None, absolutely none.
If you want to improve on this, possibly use the BuildCalendar/
as a base for a decent export COMAddin, feel free. In fact I think you really
really should. :)