This is a 1:1 port (regarding functionality) of my guestbook application written in VBScript for ASP, to a C# application written for ASP.NET.
Therefore, all the descriptions of the mentioned original guestbook article apply to this article as well. I will quote the most important facts here.
The guestbook has the following main-functionality:
- Display entries with author-name, e-mail, date and text
- Administration mode: delete entries
- Navigation: jump to first page, last page, previous page, next page, discrete pages
The sample is ready-to-use. As-few-as-possible HTML-formatting (e.g., fonts) is done in order to keep it clear. You could modify the following things:
- Change the language of the texts
- Adjust the design to your needs
- Extend the functionality
All code was written in a single ASP.NET file. No CodeBehind was used in order to keep the number of files small. The web.config file should be optional but helps in debugging the application.
To install, create a virtual directory (and an IIS application, which normally is done automatically). Then, copy the files in this directory. That's all.
Of course, you need to have the .NET Framework (with ASP.NET and ADO.NET) installed.