Updtated version of HeMoSiBi™ -2015 (Her Most Significant Bit™ NY) has been submitted to App Quest 3.0 contest (click on the image to open the link).
Intel® App Innovation Contest 2013: Round 1 winning submission, advanced to Round 2 and 3 (the FINALIST)
Fig D1: Demo app submission, sample screenshot
Overview of the App and Contest Credentials
Target Platform: All-in-One (... and One for All)
Category: Entertainment (sub-category: pure fun)
Technical merits and broader impact of the application
Well, not just another boring contest article submission! (LOL) . This magnificent software app slightly larger than life is intended for the Ladies helping them to make their lifetime in New York City rather productive and entertaining. It amalgamates the best of all known worlds, like hardware, software and even footwear (the latter refers to shopping guide presented in rather inspirational unorthodox form). In a nutshell, proposed Hemosibi© (i.e. "Her Most Significant Bit") implemented as a big-screen muti-touch software app running in kiosk-mode encapsulates the tremendous knowledge base about NYC, its unique culture and spirit (wine and beer as well). This outstanding, milestone app of tremendous cultural and historical significance introduced to the mankind at the dawn of 3rd millennium will be comprised of the following quintessentially-important modules:
- NY City Trivia Quiz, rather popular entertainment/educational (i.e. edutainment) series created by Author covering vast variety of topics, including City history, landmarks, points of attraction, etc (see the functional web app  and sample modules [10-18] in reference section).
- NY City Subway Map based on multiple Bing technology solutions pioneered by author [19,20]
- NYC Shopping Guide, though not exhaustive but rather focused and practical
- NYC Landmarks, dedicated to major points of attraction in the Big Apple [4-9]
- NYC Bare Necessities module, sort of Hitchhiker's guide to the NY great Universe, containing vital info like public toilet map, parking and commuting info, etc.
- Grumpy Corner, or NYC through the critical eye: some important precautionary principles helping to survive in the City that never sleeps (as the auld saying goeth "No one calls from Las Vegas just to say 'hello', and no one in NY City asks the question just to get the answer"... got the point?:)
Table 1: Potential Users and most common use cases
|Workplace||Put the stuff in the lobby of office building, or next to vending machine, and life will be quite different|
|City Malls||Folks typically have plenty of time and Big Macs on their hands, so a bit of fun will be welcome.|
|Landmarks||Like The Met Museum, MoMA, Rockefeller Plaza, Central Park, etc|
|Waiting Rooms||In airports (LGA/JFK), Grand Central Terminal, in DMV and other public places with long lines and plenty of waiting times|
|Restaurants||A non-obtrusive big-screen digital pal complementing the nice entourage, helping to shape a conversation and keep the proverbial ball rolling|
- From technical perspective development approach adheres to the cornerstone principle of separation of programmatic concerns, namely: all layout and aesthetic enhancement to be achieved via WPF/XAML; data content to be stored in reference database (SQL CE); the algorithmic part will be implemented as managed code in C# and compiled into .NET assembly. Proposed application will utilize novel hardware features of AIO, namely: multi-touch screen and external HID, MMUI capability of Windows 8 OS, .NET framework and speech technology (TTS/ASR).
- Other strategically important development principles are listed below:
- Application must be applicable
- Entertainment must be entertaining
- Don't run with scissors
- Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
- Forget OOP, think Data-Centric
- When in doubt - Google hard (and copy-paste where applicable)
Coding Languages, Frameworks, Tools
.NET framework/WPF well-managed code base will be developed mostly using C# language and occasionaly SQL/T-SQL for database operations on Microsoft SQL Server Compact edition (SQL CE). In addition to this, universal mouse pad (backward compatible with all versions of Windows OS) will be used for smooth cursor movements. English language (en-us) will be used for objects and vars naming, and also in comments, app notes, read-me files, user manuals and other funny stuff.
Dr. Alexander Bell is a Microsoft technology veteran with development experience span from DOS to Win 8. He actively participates in digital life of online development communities (published multiple articles and tips on Codeproject, ranked pretty high). He is personally credited for the completion of 10+ of enterprise level FLCD projects, providing consulting services to major financial institution in NYC. Dr. Bell is a pioneer and enthusiast of speech-enhanced Windows applications and novel MMUI concept. Beyond his professional duties, Alexander is devoted to digital photography, classical music and art. He is a frequent contributor to NY Examiner [4-18] and a Legend of Codeproject.com.
Innovation and User Experience
- HEKUVALOT of UX and Innovations (yada-yada-make-a-difference! Note - delete this from final version:)
- WINDOWS WITHOUT BORDERS, i.e. innovative border-less WPF Windows increasing aesthetics and overall UX
- Efficient MMUI utilizing multi-touch features of AIO and .NET speech enhancement (ASR/TTS)
- Single-window solution providing intuitive navigation between functional areas
- Kiosk-mode operations
Usage of AIO key technical enabling vectors
- App utilizes multi-touch screen operations in conjunction with speech-enhanced UI features
- AIO screen resolution allows high data density and aggregation of multiple features into a single-page solution.
App Viability/Significance for selected Category (Entertainment)
<LOL>Yeah, it is Profoundly-Epic one!<LOL> .
New York City is a home place for more than 8 million people and a major point of tourists attraction. It's unique culture and life style has been pivotal for entertainment biz in the US and abroad. Proposed app utilizing the latest/greatest technological achievement encapsulated in modern AIO in conjunction with innovative MMUI solutions and unique content, presented in a rather inspirational manner is expected to be a valuable addition to the entertainment product line.
Descriptive clarity, scope, coverage
Detailed App description on conceptual and implementation levels and corresponding programmatic tasks/challenges/solutions is provided in the following section (Background and Points of Interest). Multiple screenshots included in the body of the article illuminate the core concept of UI implementation and usage.
Achtung/Warning: humor included! Possible side effects: LOL, ROFL, even LMAO. Please observe the <LOL> tags and ROFL responsively. Thanks :)
Proposed solution has a modular structure (that's for sure, who would even think otherwise). Most of proposed modules has been developed and tested either as Windows or Web application on a variety of platforms (Desktops, Ultrabooks, Tablets).
NY City Trivia Quiz
The author is well known to online communities for his NYC trivia quiz  traced back to 2009. Currently there are more than 100 quiz modules, comprised of proprietary content (including text and graphic) created by Author [10-18]. Sample quiz modules, powered by Author's unique proprietary quiz engine , are shown below (see Fig. 1-5):
Fig.1: NY City sample trivia quiz module ('Top of the Rock' at Rockefeller Plaza)
Fig.2: NY City sample trivia quiz module (MoMA)
Fig.3: NY City sample trivia quiz module (MoMA)
Fig.4: NY City sample trivia quiz module (MoMA)
Fig.5: NY City sample trivia quiz (Madame Tussauds museum)
NY City mapping solution
The solution implemented in Jobrica-2013 project (finding Job Agency in NY City), utilizes GPS/Geolocation features of Ultrabooks and Microsoft Bing mapping technology. It also implements novel voice-enhanced MMUI (voice messaging to User via TTS). The solution could be effectively re-used/extented per the specs of AIO hardware platform. Sample screenshots follow demonstrating the core concepts of proposed idea (see Fig. 6 and Fig. 7) :
Fig 6: Finding places nearby using Geolocation services, sample screenshot related to Jobs in NYC
Fig 7: Corresponding Interactive map shows Job Agencies nearby, sample screenshot
Using the code
This section will be continuously updated as project progressing.
Points of Interest
Proposed app has a modular structure (of course), adheres to the modern day sw paradigm of separation of programming concerns (i.e. flies to be served separately from cutlets, metaphorically) and implements a multitude of highly innovative and equally creative solutions, partially listed below :
- Unique borderless WPF Window design/layout
- Single-click (or a single-tap in touchscreen-enabled devices) re-sizing solution
- Speech-enhance MMUI implementation
- Mapping solution utilizing Microsoft Bing technology
- Innovative content-rotator (image/text)
- Unique New York City quiz module, based on proprietary content by author
Synthesized Voice-over narration in Instructional Video
AIC contest rules require the winning contest submission to be accompanied by instructional video on YouTube. Here is a link to aforementioned video: HeMoSiBi™ - Her Most Significant Bit™ NY-2013[^]). The interesting part of this video creation process is the use of synthesized speech based on the same TTS thechnology that implements application voice feedback feature. The auxilliary app was created to acomplish this task, which later was extended to the full commercial-grade application Pericles™TTS-14 text-to-speech converter for Windows 7/8 (details in press release on Codeproject: Pericles™TTS-14). Demo screenshot follows (FYI: free trial edition is available at ShopDigit.com: Pericles™TTS-14.)
Pericles™TTS-14 text-to-speech converter, Demo screenshot corresponding to Translucent background theme
Executive Summary (sorta of)
Entertainment app shoulda be kinda entertaining! This sophisticated amalgam of hi-tech breakthrough (modern All-in-One PC), uber-innovative ideas and super-edutaining content could potentially materialize in a desktop app of unparalleled cultural and historical significance, and become new societal phenomenon of modern day. Betcha you already had some fun just reading this brief intro, so you can reasonably anticipate the actual app to be even more exciting.
- Aug 20, 2013 A.D.: This milestone article was introduced to the mankind and, in particular, submitted to the Intel® App Innovation Contest 2013 (AIC-2013), category: AIO/Entertainment
- Oct 20th-2013: Interactive Mapping solution (multi-touch enabled) has been added to the app
- Oct 28th-2013: Sample content has been added to the app (quiz, map, slideshow)
- October 31st, 2013 A.D. : HeMoSiBi package is submitted to Round 2 of AIC-2013 (became a Finalist)
- Planning production release (tentatively scheduled for the Y2015)
- Y2014: Pericles™TTS-14 text-to-speech converter for Windows 7/8 has been released
- Jan 31, 2015: HeMoSiBi-2015 submitted to App Quest 3.0 contest
- "Find Tutor" in NYC , online mapping solution based on Micrsoft Bing Map
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- AIO All-In-One
- ASR Automatic Speech Recognition
- Hemosibi (NYD) Her Most Significant Bit (New York Digital)
- HID Human Interface Device
- GUI Graphical User Interface
- MMUI Multi-Modal User Interface (multi-touch, speech-enhanced)
- MoMA Museum of Modern Art (NYC)
- RIA Rich Internet Application
- SQL CE SQL Compact Edition
- TTS Text-to-Speech
- UI User Interface
- UX User eXperience
- WPF Windows Presentation Foundation
- XAML Extensible Application Markup Language