Active Comment is an add-in to Microsoft Developer Studio. It has been
tested under VC++ v.6 with Service Pack 3 (and higher).
This addin provides active comments using your source code. You can
reference your code with external files, e-mail addresses, set links to
internet sites, MSDN articles, or you can insert voice commentary to your
If you found any errors or bugs I would be very grateful to recieve feedback. Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Disclaimer: This software is provided as-is and with no implied
warranty of any kind. Please don't place any blame on me if it does
something untoward to your system.
- Copy "ActiveComments.dll" to the add-ins folder of Developer Studio:
Files\DevStudio\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\AddIns
- In Developer Studio, go to the "Tools" menu and select "Customize...".
- Go to the "Add-ins and Macro Files" tab (the last one). Select the checkbox "Active Comments",
and click "Close".
- Developer Studio adds a new toolbar with the Active Comments buttons:
| use for create new or modify exists
|| View Commentary|| will executed linked to selected
commentary reference |
List of all Active Comments
| will displayed list of all active
comments in the current project|
Active comment clear
| delete selected active comment,
but leave title in a text|
Delete Active Comment
| full delete selected active comment
(and title from a text also will be deleted)
| insert code template,
which selected from the list|
| Active Comment AddIn Options:
clear history list, manage code templates list
To deactivate Active Comments, perform steps 2-3, but remove the
selection from the Active Comments checkbox.
To completely uninstall Active Comments:
- Exit Developer Studio.
- Delete "ActiveComments.dll" from your Developer Studio add-ins folder.
- Move the cursor to the row where you want to insert an active comment or
select the text which you want to make an active comment.
- Click the button "Comment Setup" and in the following dialog enter the comment
title (it will be displayed in the source). Point a reference to file (or
MSDN article, web page, e-mail, etc.). If you want to make a voice comment,
click on the button
"Show Record Controls", make a record and save it (name of wave file will
be generated automatically). Click OK.
- Active comment will be displayed. For example:
If you want to manage all of active comments in the project, choose the command
"View All Comments". And in the following dialog you can edit, delete and execute
Special thanks to Nikolay Egipco.
- Was added protocol "MS-ITS" support: this is a new Microsoft protocol
(began to be supported with IE 4.0) for work with chm-files. For more information
- ChangeCase functions were moved to the separate addin Active Tools
- New items were added to the UtilitesPage in the Options dialog:
- Enable VC Editor wrapping: turn on/off wrapping to the Visual C++
- Enable doubleclick on comments: turn on/off tracing mouse doubleclick
on the active comments;
- Enable template dialog repositon: turn on/off template dialog reposition
- Some minor bugs were corrected.
- Was added handler to event
LeftButtonDblClick on the Active
Comment (in the DevStudio's SourceEditor): after
be execute linked file or play voice comment or run MSDN;
- The method of definition of the active comment is advanced: now you can
have several acomments in the one string;
- The function of adding code templates also is advanced: now
appears near at the place, where carret is found (KeyShortcut:
- Was corrected function of inserting code template: now everywhere in the
code templates where there will be found a character "%s" will be inserted
a selected text.
- Was corrected function of executing comment links to MSDN
- Was added Import/Export code templates
- Was corrected some minor bugs
- Was added options dialog (based on property sheet). It has following pages:
- edit templates page - for add/edit/delete code templates
- options page - yet it has only one option: Clear History List
- The error originating under following conditions was corrected:
Now it work correctly.
- you have a comment with link to a ,for example, web site;
- then you have changed this link to link on a file and protocol from
<http://> to <none>;but the protocol has not varied.
- The History List is limited to 20 records.
- Was added links-history in the CommentSetupDlg.
- Was added version control.
- Was added code templates.
- When you add a new active comment selected string is checked on finding
in the block of the comment.
You can download latest version from my site