Click here to Skip to main content
14,268,184 members

The Weird and The Wonderful


The Weird and The Wonderful forum is a place to post Coding Horrors, Worst Practices, and the occasional flash of brilliance.

We all come across code that simply boggles the mind. Lazy kludges, embarrassing mistakes, horrid workarounds and developers just not quite getting it. And then somedays we come across - or write - the truly sublime.

Post your Best, your worst, and your most interesting. But please - no programming questions . This forum is purely for amusement and discussions on code snippets. All actual programming questions will be removed.

GeneralRe: This is the kind of productivity you get when you pay by lines of code Pin
fjdiewornncalwe20-Feb-13 3:13
professionalfjdiewornncalwe20-Feb-13 3:13 
GeneralRe: This is the kind of productivity you get when you pay by lines of code Pin
wout de zeeuw6-Mar-13 14:31
memberwout de zeeuw6-Mar-13 14:31 
GeneralIF-free codes Pin
SarK0Y15-Feb-13 12:34
memberSarK0Y15-Feb-13 12:34 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Paul Conrad15-Feb-13 12:54
professionalPaul Conrad15-Feb-13 12:54 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
SarK0Y15-Feb-13 13:06
memberSarK0Y15-Feb-13 13:06 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Gary Wheeler19-Feb-13 0:17
memberGary Wheeler19-Feb-13 0:17 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Chad3F20-Feb-13 19:03
memberChad3F20-Feb-13 19:03 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
dusty_dex19-Feb-13 5:54
memberdusty_dex19-Feb-13 5:54 
Are you aware of the 90/10 law?

90% of the time is spent in 10% of the code,
and only 10% of the time in the remaining 90% of the code.

If you are attempting to optimize code in the 90% of execution time, great. Otherwise leave optimizing alone.

Use macros with good names to do optimizations, and it will *hopefully* make your code clearer.

If you were targeting code for the ARM cpu then eliminating branches is totally pointless because..
ARM cpu has conditional branching on almost every cpu instruction, but doesn't cost extra cpu time to fetch a separate branch instruction like on many CISC cpus.
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
DarthDana19-Mar-13 10:09
professionalDarthDana19-Mar-13 10:09 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
RonDsz19-Feb-13 9:36
memberRonDsz19-Feb-13 9:36 
JokeRe: IF-free codes Pin
Brisingr Aerowing25-Feb-13 14:58
professionalBrisingr Aerowing25-Feb-13 14:58 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
PIEBALDconsult15-Feb-13 19:27
protectorPIEBALDconsult15-Feb-13 19:27 
JokeRe: IF-free codes PinPopular
Brisingr Aerowing15-Feb-13 19:47
professionalBrisingr Aerowing15-Feb-13 19:47 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Monaco.Bavarian18-Feb-13 19:50
memberMonaco.Bavarian18-Feb-13 19:50 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
KP Lee19-Feb-13 11:36
memberKP Lee19-Feb-13 11:36 
AnswerRe: IF-free codes Pin
Monaco.Bavarian19-Feb-13 19:07
memberMonaco.Bavarian19-Feb-13 19:07 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
KP Lee19-Feb-13 21:51
memberKP Lee19-Feb-13 21:51 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Stefan_Lang19-Feb-13 0:30
memberStefan_Lang19-Feb-13 0:30 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
JHubSharp19-Feb-13 4:14
memberJHubSharp19-Feb-13 4:14 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Gary Huck19-Feb-13 5:19
memberGary Huck19-Feb-13 5:19 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Zan Lynx19-Feb-13 11:10
memberZan Lynx19-Feb-13 11:10 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
5urd19-Feb-13 6:01
member5urd19-Feb-13 6:01 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
Dave Kreskowiak5-Mar-13 3:55
mveDave Kreskowiak5-Mar-13 3:55 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
RafagaX19-Feb-13 6:22
professionalRafagaX19-Feb-13 6:22 
GeneralRe: IF-free codes Pin
jschell19-Feb-13 8:16
memberjschell19-Feb-13 8:16 

General General    News News    Suggestion Suggestion    Question Question    Bug Bug    Answer Answer    Joke Joke    Praise Praise    Rant Rant    Admin Admin   

Use Ctrl+Left/Right to switch messages, Ctrl+Up/Down to switch threads, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right to switch pages.