I have developed one application using VS 2005(8.0) Express Edition for one of my client. Client will deliver/sale it to his customers. So is myself required any license to purchase from Microsoft and also my client.
I've written the world's most powerful data-mining program, but I have no experience with marketing and sales. Can anyone suggest some next steps to get the program marketed, or links to useful advice?
I was wondering how do people out there settle software contracts.
Do you make a requirement list and sign on that?
in what format? use cases, natural language?
How do you handle estimating cost and time (and giving a budget based on that kind of unknown factors) when it seems clear the client isn't sure of what they actually want which means you will likely end up with an evolving prototype?
Difficult question. Some of my experiences:
- Try to make the requirement list as good as possible, but always add a part that is open-ended on hour basis (with a time estimation)
- Describe what your software can not do. This gives you some help when the client develops different expectations as the project goes
- Small projects have a simple list in natural language.
- Because the time to make a real good req.list is not payed for, you want to keep it simple. On the other hand you want risks eliminated. Problem is that even if you write everything out (what is impossible and takes much too much time) this still is not a garantue the project will not have problems on prizes, simply because your client does not think in terms of requirements but in terms of expectations. So keep your customer well informed. Try to invoice in parts.
- If your customer wants a fixed price, or at big projects, sell a consult on requirements first
- Raise your prizes a little. You'll need it to give something back when things do not go as expected
- Best tip: Get a good account manager. Commercial people are born for these things
Follow up question, how do you handle the open-ended part? list a cost of per hour on the contract and then on the road let them know how many hours it would take?
What i do:
- Tell my client why it is not reasonable/impossible my company does it fixed price
- Tell him also how many time I expect that it may cost (a best guess)
- Agree on that expectation
A typical conversation is something like:
"I must make a price while I do not have the specs yet. On my experience I guess it will take about .. days if the specs are reasonable. Having a price per hour at ... this would make ... So i can't do this part fixed price, but i can agree that i'll notify you as soon as i expect it takes more time, so we can find a solution together..."
Aside: this is not how it goes into the contract, there we formulate it as price per hour - without any restriction.
Problem for your client is that his boss wants to know how much it costs: he needs a number. So help him with that..
these contracts problems are commonly occured with customers. But main problem is that proving services not based numeric criters. Customer want to know how much pay for it and what will be gain after that. typical business relation. Simply all issue should be based number and time limit, than everyone accept to contract.
I'm in a bit of a rut! I have 5 years experience using ASP.NET and Visual Studio.NET. I am very fluent and love developing web applications, but I have no commercial experience and I want to create a portfolio of sites which I can build for other people.
Should I create a set of basic sites using templates, or should I custom e-commerce create sites for people from scratch and advertise that I can create a site for them cheaply?
If so, how do you manage the deployment and hosting for your customer in business terms??
I know all the technical side, but have no business sense at all and I desperately need advice on a) how do you find your customer base? b) how do you sell them your ASP.NET application?
Hi, This may not be the place to put this question, but here it is. I have a lot of downloaded PLR and Resale Right Products that I have downloaded to my desktop. I would like to build a website or a few download pages to sale to who ever. I do have a hosting company that I use. The question, How and where do I do this. If I build a website ( www.mydomain.com) for example, where do I upload the downloads to, so everyone can download each one individually after they opt-in and/or pay for the downloads and the bonus. Do I have to have individual ftp accounts for each download? If someone could help me, it would be great. please email me directly at email@example.com I really need some help here.
Thank you very much
P.S. If this is not the right place to post this kind of question, please tell me where I would need to post it.
I work for a start up company that is just starting to grow.. and we thought it would be a good idea to have an Intranet site for all employees. Do we have a nice Intranet (trusted) service that is open source-- what is it that most companies do anyway?
I don't know whether it is the right place to post this question here. Anyway,
I want to buy a biometric SDK. But I don't know which one is the best available.
I am developing a very large project and hence a want the top quality software available.
please be genuine and give your suggetion
Hi every one,
Hi every one i am trying to make my site come in top of
google search results.I read many SEO books but still did get
any thing.Keywords are good and working in it from past
one year.One of My site is About me (independent programmer) and another site is programming resources
I want to come again from start.Is there any good seo tutorial with tips and tricks.
Thanks in advance.
There are many good tutorials on SEO, all of which you can get via google. It is important to note, however, that keywords aren't the be all and end all of optimisation. One of the biggest things that can enhance your site is having good inbound links to the site.
"WPF has many lovers. It's a veritable porn star!" - Josh Smith
To get a good position in th rank of google, it is important that your site (link) appears in many important sites. You can find more information if you know who the algorithm works.
google search algorithm