I am a C# programmer, which try to extent my horizon.
So a while ago, I decided to try to make a database application in Google AppEngine. Instead of making a desktop application, that only runs in Windows.
I bought a book called something like "Get started with Google AppEngine" or whatever name it was. However, after a few chapters I realized that the book was written in 2009 and very version specific. So I relied on Googles articles and whatever I could find, about the subject.
I created my Google account and started. First thing in my mind was creating a MySQL database. This went fine no problems, I have been working with MySQL in many years, and I think that is a god and reliable database. I normally use MySQL Workbench as my administration tool, and it works fine.
I then try to connect to my Google MySQL to Workbench. Then all my frustrations start.
It is impossible to connect Workbench to a Google MySQL database. I then after a lot of search found that I need to have an IPv6 address. If I want to connect from my PC to the database, it can only happen via IPv6. Otherwise, I will have to provide an IPv4 address for MySQL Instance. In addition, that cost money per hour. I am willing to pay, but until now, I have not had any thing running. In addition, I feel that Google should show me something before starting billing me. My internet provider is not giving me an IPv6 address when I use MyIP.dk it says No IPv6 address found. I tried using my PC’s IPv6 address. Nothing works and I have provided that My PC is allowed to connect to database, My Pc’s IPv6 is allowed to connect, My IPv4 is allowed etc. etc. No connection what so ever.
I then thought that It might be easier to use MyPHPAdmin instead. I have also god experience with MyPHPAdmin. In addition, I expected that it was just to switch it on like other web hotel providers. Again, I was wrong, you have to install it yourself and write config-file etc. Some nice person has made a description of how to do it. I follow the recipe and uploaded MyPHPAdmin. I get a login screen(success), everything is fine. Then it all started over again, wandering in circles in Google tutorials etc. The only message I get when login MyPHPAdmin: “MySQL has gone away” and then an error code.
After searching at least 50 web-pages I found one that wrote the you are not able to connect from an application to database if it’s not on the same location. That make sense. But how on earth am I supposed to know that. Why does Google not make sure, that Site and Database is placed on the same location??
I then deleted the database and created a new in European Area1, but I’m not able to see which site my application is located in. Now it looks different. I am not able to apply applications that has access. I’m not able to add users that can log on to the database. And it has an IPv4 address, even though I haven’t asked for a IPv4 address. I then for a moment thought that Workbench could come into play again. But no!
I have updated MyPHPAdmin App so it is pointing to the correct database etc. etc. But I still get the message “MySQL has gone away”.
Now that I have used (I guess) three full days trying to connect some administration to MySQL, I wander what Google thinks about this. I am told that Googles AppEngine is so user friendly etc. And that it is the best cloud engine in the world. I think that it is Google them self that write these articles. Right now, I think going back to Microsoft, because it at least works, and is user friendly.
I think that Google AppEngine is one of the worst internet experience I have had. My impression is that Google AppEngine is in beta and have not been finished yet.
I have an Azure database that I am trying to update through Visual Studio. I am an administrator on the portal. When I am at the Azure database dashboard and select open in Visual Studio it prompts me for the password of a previous developer/Administrator who is no longer on the project. I do not have the last administrator's password. It is possible that I would be able to access the old administrator's account and change the password so I can login as them from what I understand but I'm not sure. I do have the MSDN account but can only login with my user ID and PW. I do have the previous Administrators email and user ID for the MSDN account but don't have that password as well. When Visual Studio tries to open the previous Admin's user ID in defaulted in the login ID dialog. When I try to enter my id and password I receive a error dialog with the following message:
Cannot connect to ngl7ew5ap.datanbase.windows.net
Login failed for user: 'myusername'.
This session has been assigned a tracing ID of 'd3f30e28-8c4b-bc06-4facc83c1d87. Provide this tracing ID to customer
support when you need assistance. (Microsoft SQL server, Error:18456)
First of all, my problem was I was using the old Azure portal. Now when I went to server and selected reset password, changed the password, updated the password I was able to login to that database and server in visual studio. Now, because the database server was being used by a running application once that happened the application could not access the database. Doing a search for connection strings in the source code I found the original password, reset it back in Azure and everything now is good to go.