The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
Wasn't really paying attention yesterday, Something was said about World Environment Day 'working' from home (which I can't due to needing hardware). I am pretty sure is next Tuesday, so where is everyone!
Hello, hello... anyone there! I'm sitting here on my own...
I should be a pure software developer, dealing with algorithms 90% of the time and UI the remaining 10%.
My first projects as an intern (no access to production code, only a bare minimum simulacrum) were revising our RS232 communication classes and implementing MODBUS protocol over RS232 and TCP/IP (for reasons we can't use external components). Thus I became the Communication Expert... the second project was piloting a device we never attached to our machines. Thus I became the Strange Devices expert.
Guess what I did most of my time in the past 6 years? I literally have more hardware on my desk than the blessed hardware engineer. I even got to be moved from the developer pen open space to the hardware lab.
With my old Acer I took the free upgrade from 7 Pro to 10 Pro and had no end of trouble. Finally the machine kept crashing to the point where I had to do two complete rebuilds within a week, coupled with multiple processor shut-downs due to overheating when running Hyper-V.
Solution - buy a new laptop - a top of the range HP gaming laptop (what the shop had in stock at the time) and the world changed. It is really stable and I have had no problems with it at all for four months. I have yet to try two VMs in Hyper-V, but I suspect it will be no problem.