The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
And before you nay sayers come in, it was some good stuff we built 20 years ago.
Nothing good was ever done with VB. Let the past go, and don't look back.
".45 ACP - because shooting twice is just silly" - JSOP, 2010 - You can never have too much ammo - unless you're swimming, or on fire. - JSOP, 2010 - When you pry the gun from my cold dead hands, be careful - the barrel will be very hot. - JSOP, 2013
"I controlled my laughter and simple said "No,I am very busy,so I can't write any code for you". The moment they heard this all the smiling face turned into a sad looking face and one of them farted. So I had to leave the place as soon as possible." - Mr.Prakash One Fine Saturday. 24/04/2004
C# is low level enough for all the hand-rolled stuff you could want. It's the CLR that does everything for you, not C#. The syntactic sugar like async/await and other bloody marvelous stuff can all be done the long way, either with the Task Parallel Library, or just plain threads, if you like large bowls of spaghetti lubricated with toffee.
... my Lumia 1520 ... I finally (accidentally) dropped it from high enough altitude to smash the screen totally. It served me well for almost 3 years with ups and downs depending on the quality of corresponding insider build - official repair shop mentioned around 170 EUR for replacement while saying that actually they don't even receive spare parts for this model anymore Anyway, I got the closest sort-of-modern replacement I could get, the Lumia 950 XL - HP Elite X3 is not available in this god-forsaken part of the world (I know, I'm a masochist for still sticking with MS on this) and here are my initial thoughts after two day use ...
- it is noticeably faster
- camera seems a bit better
CONS (most of it I was aware of before purchase):
- smaller screen - I got used to solid 6' size ... anything less is too small
- battery seems to last less - could be due to relatively heavy use with all initial updates and app installations
- home, back and search buttons being part of the screen is far less usable and it additionally makes (already small) screen even smaller
- design and build quality seems inferior (comparatively speaking) - not bad though in absolute terms
- heating under heavy use is very noticeable
- iris scanner seems nice to have, but it is too often too slow or it fails to recognize me - should have fingerprint reader instead in my opinion