The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
and because it hurts to think about, you decided to refactor by starting all over again, and realize that 95% of the code you implemented wasn't necessary to begin with, and the other 5% is all that's usable from your sense of failure and self-loathing?
Isn't that the definition of "prototype"?
But prototyping is a dying art. Even in hardware circles, we sometimes shipped hand-wired prototypes to meet delivery schedules.
I actually did that one day last week. Of course, it was in a virtual machine hosted by my Win7 box running MS-DOS 6.22. I needed it in order to be able to build(*) an old application I've suddenly become responsible for .
A couple of weeks ago we laid off 6 of the 11 members of my group. I 'acquired' support of a number of older products that are still in the field. One started out life 25 years ago, running under MS-DOS on an industrial PC in a rack-mounted cabinet. Now that software runs on a small board the size of a credit card mounted inside the equipment cabinet, affectionately known as the "PC-in-a-box". I've got the ability to build the app should an issue arise.
Of course, it may take me a month or two figuring out where to cut and splice...
It is interesting, once you get past the dank morass of despair working here has been the last four years or so. Layoffs every 8-12 months, re-organizations that seem to only serve to "stir the pot", and engineering management by former hardware engineers who don't understand software, don't want to understand it, and wish it would just go away.
"The Total Perspective Vortex derives its picture of the whole Universe on the principle of extrapolated matter analyses.
To explain — since every piece of matter in the Universe is in some way affected by every other piece of matter in the Universe, it is in theory possible to extrapolate the whole of creation — every sun, every planet, their orbits, their composition and their economic and social history from, say, one small piece of fairy cake.
The man who invented the Total Perspective Vortex did so basically in order to annoy his wife.
Trin Tragula — for that was his name — was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.
And she would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.
"Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.
And so he built the Total Perspective Vortex — just to show her.
And into one end he plugged the whole of reality as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake, and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.
To Trin Tragula's horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."