The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
1. The lounge is for the CodeProject community to discuss things of interest to the community, and as a place for the whole community to participate. It is, first and foremost, a respectful meeting and discussion area for those wishing to discuss the life of a Software developer.
The #1 rule is: Be respectful of others, of the site, and of the community as a whole.
2. Technical discussions are welcome, but if you need specific programming question answered please use Quick Answers[^], or to discussion your programming problem in depth use the programming forums[^]. We encourage technical discussion, but this is a general discussion forum, not a programming Q&A forum. Posts will be moved or deleted if they fit better elsewhere.
4. No politics (including enviro-politics[^]), no sex, no religion. This is a community for software development. There are plenty of other sites that are far more appropriate for these discussions.
5. Nothing Not Safe For Work, nothing you would not want your wife/husband, your girlfriend/boyfriend, your mother or your kid sister seeing on your screen.
6. Any personal attacks, any spam, any advertising, any trolling, or any abuse of the rules will result in your account being removed.
7. Not everyone's first language is English. Be understanding.
Please respect the community and respect each other. We are of many cultures so remember that. Don't assume others understand you are joking, don't belittle anyone for taking offense or being thin skinned.
We are a community for software developers. Leave the egos at the door.
Although I've a better system, as well, my primary work PC is a refurbished Dell Optiplex of some sort which came with a video card for direct HDMI. I did upgrade it from 4GB to 8GB (DDR2 !) which did make a difference but I wonder if there's any reason to upgrade.
Why? It's main use is to connect to a VM "at work" and from there, another hop to my desktop. So I sit back in a recliner with a 49" monitor I can almost touch with my toes and tap away on my (non-gamer) wireless keyboard/mouse (recently upgraded to Logitech MK710).
Considering the path between me and my work-box (Xeon 32GB and something like 8 3.5GHz cores) - and that it does all the real work (and reaches out even more hops to the server farm, as needed) is there any sensible reason to upgrade anything, except, perhaps, a more comfortable recliner?
Although it's never happened to me before, I do fear this scenario happening. So much in fact that I always dress up as a bag of chips when I go out in public. That way, when it finally happens, I don't have to worry about looking silly in front of people.
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant Anonymous - The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine Winston Churchill, 1944 - Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Mark Twain