The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
My wife bought a cover / keyboard thing for her iPad yesterday, and being bored I read the manual, which has been very entertainingly translated - somewhere Chinesey I think.
My personal favourite line is;
Note: When you normally using the keyboard, or if you are not using the keyboard and didn't urn off the power switch, please don't fold or curly, so you will have been working at the keyboard, it will greatly decrease you using the keyboard.
At one point it also tells you to "Turn Jon the toggle switch". I like the personal touch of giving the controls names.
Every man can tell how many goats or sheep he possesses, but not how many friends.
Then you should see the next step of the translation: From English to other langages (like Swedish)!
I often meet people saying "I'm an idiot, I don't understand the manual".
They arn't idiots, the manual is completely useless.
The English version usually is comprehensible to a certain extent. So it's the best option, for what it's worth.
Alcohol. The cause of, and the solution to, all of life's problems - Homer Simpson
Sounds like every day for me. I usually work 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., alloting 2 hours for my lunchtime run/workout. That stretch from 6:00 to around 8:30 is as productive as the rest of the entire day. No walk-ins, no phone calls, little e-mail after dealing with the overnight batch, and the coffee is freely flowing.
I work four days a week doing 9 am to 7 pm.
1. Four 10-hour days are much better than five 8-hour days.
2. In am in the US at the moment and they all seem to LOVE coming in at 7 am or 8 am at the latest so they can leave at 3 or 4 pm.
3. It gets very quiet around 3-4 pm so I get 3-4 really productive hours in wonderful peace and quiet!
4. One of my days is a Sunday and so I can take Tuesday & Wednesday off as a mid-week weekend. Sunday is a whole day of peace and quiet - I get about twice as much done on Sunday as on any other day as nobody at all is in for the whole day (usually).
5. I miss most of the traffic rush hours in the morning and evening because of my later hours.
- Life in the fast lane is only fun if you live in a country with no speed limits.
- Of all the things I have lost, it is my mind that I miss the most.
- I vaguely remember having a good memory...
The scheme worked very well for Bob. In his performance assessments by the firm's human resources department, he was the firm's top coder for many quarters and was considered expert in C, C++, Perl, Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python.
From the Article:
Further investigation found that the enterprising Bob had actually taken jobs with other firms and had outsourced that work too, netting him hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit as well as lots of time...
Bob is my hero!
My programming get away... The Blog...
Taking over the world since 1371!