The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
If asked for a reference I will always refuse point blank if I don't think the person is a good prospect. So either a good reference or none.
And when I give a good reference I give a GOOD reference.
1. Some Company Name
2. Officially Developer. Unofficially Guru of Code and god of the machine
3. His direct superior, in HR's eyes, a fawning puppet to his mastery, in reality.
4. Not long enough. Each working day slipped past as grains of sand in an hourglass.
5. Master over all he surveyed; friend to all;
6. Beyond completion. Asked to make a cup of tea, one could safely expect cucumber sandwiches, a tiered tray of hand-decorated cakes and a selection of teas
7. Au contraire. He is the oil to calm the troubled waters of the planing meeting. I once dropped a $5 note and he returned a $10 to me.
8. There is no better word than 'beautiful' to describe its nature.
9. His greatest strength is in his weakness; his greatest weakness is his strength
10. For the males, the phrase 'hero worship' is like describing Nagy as 'someone who likes the occasional G&T. For the females, I have personally seen pre-menopausal women begin ovulating as he entered a room. One junior trainer fell pregnant after working with him for less than 10 minutes (and she was gay)
If these questionnaires were sent to people whom you chose to provide as references, you have nothing to worry about.
If I were a potential employer and the prospective employee's chosen references answered any of these questions negatively, it would be a valid concern to me. If your friends and the people you chose as professional references think you're a douche-bag with a propensity for violence... Fat chance I'd hire you.
I didn't mean to imply that you had anything to worry about.
And yes, I knew your question was about the appropriateness of the questions. My first statement was to set up the second part about the "appropriateness" of the questions from the perspective of an employer.
The question for me was whether some of these questions were even appropriate.
No they are not!
As others have pointed out some of these questions are subjective which are not valid questions to ask as the results will differ from individual to individual and are not necessarily reflective of the person being evaluated.
The report of my death was an exaggeration - Mark Twain
Really? Reading the thread below(The ultimate Nigerian scam)[^] I could not believe the replies . People have been murdered and their bodies served in a restaurant and all we can do is joke about it. My respect for some people here has just been lowered a couple notches. So sad
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, waging all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
Training a telescope on one’s own belly button will only reveal lint. You like that? You go right on staring at it. I prefer looking at galaxies.
-- Sarah Hoyt
In the face of such unimaginable atrocities in a distant place, humour (or attempts at it) are about all one can do. It's probably some kind of defense mechanism against constantly rising bar of depravity. There was no intent to offend.
I'm with you actually. I can't really see a source of humour here. IMHO there are certain atrocities that need to be left for what they are. Bombings by militants in train stations for example don't bring out the joker in me.
Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
These are the same people who make fun of the deaths in Syria, Middle East, Africa, Asia, and the rest of the world. Some joke for fun, others joke for spite, but almost all will joke nonetheless. People stopped being human(e) beings a long time ago and are just beings of some sort now. I think we have to reclassify our species now.