The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.-John Q. Adams You must accept one of two basic premises: Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not alone in the universe. And either way, the implications are staggering.-Wernher von Braun Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.-Albert Einstein
Is that the one that asks for your credit card details and gets sent to me?
It's genuine. :InnocentWhistleSmiley:
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it. --- George Santayana (December 16, 1863 – September 26, 1952)
Those who fail to clear history are doomed to explain it. --- OriginalGriff (February 24, 1959 – ∞)
We're having endless internal debate about editorial at the moment and wanted to pick your collective brains about how important Cloud Computing is to you. We did a survey a couple of years back and got a lot of "I hate Buzzwords!" and "This Cloud thing is a fad" answers which, well, didn't really provide the indepth, thoughtful repartee we were hoping for.
Hi. greeting to all!!!
First, I must be clear in some points:
- I will not show % or certified data, this is my personal feeling from all I know. (real life)
- This "article" is planed to thing outside a country and mostly worldwide (that mean we don't live in USA)
- I will not talk about which Win version is better or why Win8 sucks or whatever about the OS versions.
- Sorry for my english is not as good, and it gets worst when I get emotional!
Here I go, after reading a lot of reports and articles from CodeProject and other sources looks like everybody wants us to change from WinXP to Win7 or Win8... a lot of those articles seems surprised because more that 30% of the world is still using WinXP, and as much as I read I feel like those articles are just to scare and force people to buy new hardware and new software...
You probably will be asking why not updating to new technology? I will tell you why you want to update if you are just browsing the web or just creating documents, Mozilla and Word97 are still usable for this purpose and also they work better that new technologies that just seems to be abusing and eating resources? (Why should I need Internet and one online account when I just want to write and print an small letter?)
Security? no, you don't need that kind of extreme security level when you are in a small businesses or even in you home pc were your mother barely check Facebook, all you need is a good Firewall, a good antivirus and a good Internet browser.
To be honest I feel that only big companies (ones that could be targeted by hackers and malicious attacks) should be really worried about the need of this update!!!
Let see... those are examples of small business that I believe will never change they hardware and software (unless the hardware dies)
- Net Cafes: that place were you pay 1 dollar or less by hour just to browse internet for an hour...
- Small Companies: This is related to the company system they use and the amount of free money they can use, a company with 50 PCs, if they need to change all them, lets say 500 USD including the new Windows (and I'm not including Office) that means 25.000 USD just to be updated, but does this update means an increase in production? will they win more money thanks to this change, I think no, they will continue doing the same, and probably will also require to update the company specific software to new technology
- Home PCs: I only see 2 kind of people updating they PCs to the new windows: Gamers and Tec addicts (Metro developers, geeks, ...), My mother for sure doesn't need win8 to write documents in Office2000 (<-- notice how I'm playing with the Office version, at the end for casual user there is no real difference since Office97, just buttons changed color and form)
Everybody else will change only if they really need... and maybe that is my main point, when does you really need to change? If you are old enough (maybe 30 years old) you already know that some "improvements" in tech are more commercial than real enhancements. (today cellphones, video cards, CPUs...) I'm sure you don't need those SERVERS in your home!!!
Something else is that probably those Articles you see in Internet are more related to big business that to small business, for sure Companies like Google, Coca Cola, Intel and like they will want and need to be updated, but man, the "Maquila" that is 1 block from my home, I'm sure they are doing fine with all they old XP pcs!!!
I'm wondering if someone is preparing a good Security Package to support all those old win XP pcs:
- Antivirus, Antispyware, Antimallware
- Internet Browser
- OS Patches
Can you imagine billing 10USD annually by PC_, today the amount of XP machines are still over 30% that should be a huge income!!! (Bad, I don't have enough time, resources and knowledge about security)
Then in resume:
- Upgrade because is new technology is not applicable in all cases.
- Upgrading can be to expensive for some companies and due they type of work they barely need this update/
- Update because Security, not everybody need those security updates, there is still a lot of business that will live with just a nice antivirus
- Web World? all you need is a good Internet Browser, for this you don't need Win8 or better.
Don't update just because is the new Fashion, update because you need it!!!
well, is not about if you like, is more about do you really need it? and in other cases, can you afford it?
if is about like I stay with Win7, Win8 has been painful with those side menus, for sure they are good in a cellphone but each time I slice my finger from right to left I got that contextual menu!!! man!! I hasn't been able to disable that feature!!!
Last Visit: 31-Dec-99 18:00 Last Update: 29-Jun-17 6:57