Welcome to the Lounge
The Lounge is rated Safe For Work. If you're about to post something inappropriate for a shared office environment, then don't post it. No ads, no abuse, and no programming questions. Trolling, (political, climate, religious or whatever) will result in your account being removed.
|After posting (8GB No Longer Enough -- The Lounge[^]) about issues with numerous processes running as svchost.exe a couple of people mentioned that I should examine the processes behind each svchost using SysInternals.
Here's a snapshot of SysInternals displaying the huge list (69 or more) of svchost.exe procs that are all attributed to Microsoft Corp (win10 processes).
I understand this is the cost of running an OS, but I just thought the list is interesting.
Here's the huge list of things that are running and it would be difficult to determine if any of these services could safely be stopped without effecting the entire system.
I see only a few that could possibly be stopped:
a) telemetry (#39)
b) payments and NFC/SE manager (#66) Why would that be running on my desktop?
c) geolocation service (#65) -- possibly but the way things are tied together it could cause other problems with network or something, I don't know.
You will probably find all of these running on your Win10 machine too.
1. plug n play
2. system events broker
3. RPC endpoint mapper
4. local session manager
5. Remote Desktop Services
6. TCP/IP Netbios helper
7. Windows time
8. Network store interface service
9. network connection broker service
10. DHCP client
11. DNSClient (dnscache)
12. Time Broker svc
13. human interface device service hidserv
14. windows defender firewall
15. windows management instrumentation
16. ip helper
17. windows event log
18. sys main
19. user profile service
21. remote desktop services usermode port redirector
22. COM+ event system
23. system event notification service
24. network location awareness
25. certificate propagation service
26. task scheduler
27. lanman workstation
28. windows audio endpoint builder
29. windows font cache service
30. remote desktop configuration
31. network list service
32. windows audio
33. user manager
34. windows connection manager
35. data usage (dusm service)
36. state repository service
37. core messaging registrar
38. secure socket tunneling protocol service
39. connected user services and telemetry
40. windows push notifications system service
41. diagnostic policy service
42. cryptographic services
43. network connections (netman)
44. distributed link tracking client
45. security center
46. server (lanman server)
47. diagnostic service host
48. remote access connection manager
49. IPSec Policy agent
50. program compatibility assistant service
51. delivery optimization
52. storage service
53. connected devices platform service
54. update orchestrator service
55. windows remote management
56. SSDP Discovery (simple service discovery protocol)
57. Data Sharing Service
58. connected devices platform user service (CDP user svc)
59. windows push notifications user service
60. web account manager
61. touch keyboard and handwriting panel service
62. application information
63. clipboard user service
64. windows license manager service
65. geolocation service
66. payments and NFC/SE manager
67. winHTTP web proxy auto-discovery service
68. AVCTP service [BthAvctpSvc]
69. windows connect now - config registrar
modified 26-Aug-19 10:02am.
General News Suggestion Question Bug Answer Joke Praise Rant Admin
Use Ctrl+Left/Right to switch messages, Ctrl+Up/Down to switch threads, Ctrl+Shift+Left/Right to switch pages.