The Lounge is rated PG. If you're about to post something you wouldn't want your
kid sister to read then don't post it. No flame wars, no abusive conduct, no programming
questions and please don't post ads.
People are usually shocked when they find out that I'm not a very good electrician!
Anything that is unrelated to elephants is irrelephant Anonymous - The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine Winston Churchill, 1944 - Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. Mark Twain
1) Mostly ARM based, RPI and last project was ESP32 based.
2) I mainly Used Eclipse the last 10...15 years but I switched to VSCODE recently because it is a lot easier to configure.
3) A bit of everything: compressor control, multiple compressor management systems, dryer controls, pallet robot control, smart meters, communication hubs and gateways, HVAC control, domotics and industrial scanner applications.
It takes a slightly different way of thinking than traditional PC/server programming does but I have always enjoyed it a lot. Programming something that makes a machine tick is just very pleasant.
1) Too many. We work for dozens of diffeerent archs (it is indeed a compiler + runtime for HMI).
2) VS mostly, then it depends on the platform for some stuff.
3) Embedded HMI. 95% automotive but there are also comemrcial applications (home appliances).
GCS d--(d+) s-/++ a C++++ U+++ P- L+@ E-- W++ N+ o+ K- w+++ O? M-- V? PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t+ 5? X R+++ tv-- b+(+++) DI+++ D++ G e++ h--- r+++ y+++* Weapons extension: ma- k++ F+2 X
I use a "smart" camera from a German company that has a TI DSP in it. I think it is in the 32000 family.
By default the IDE is Eclipse but I can't stand it so I use VS2017 to edit and Eclipse to host the compiler.
We are in the manufacturing industry. The cameras are part of a LASER scanning system used to construct a 3D model of an object being processed. As far as embedded systems go, this is not very primitive and is quite capable since it has Ethernet communication and a VGA output.
"They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers! Can I get an amen?"
"the debugger doesn't tell me anything because this code compiles just fine" - random QA comment
"Facebook is where you tell lies to your friends. Twitter is where you tell the truth to strangers." - chriselst
"I don't drink any more... then again, I don't drink any less." - Mike Mullikins uncle