or, "I spent good money on this thing... might as well blog about it"
1. Gretchen[^] is a cool gal.
2. Raymond[^] is a really coolguy.
3. People love Anders Hejlsberg and Don Box. Don because he's whacky, Anders because he's down-to-earth and gets to demo the cool stuff (XLINQ especially).
4. IE 7 Protected Mode (low rights mode) is going to cause headaches for legit toolbars too (like mine).
5. Even us jaded geeks can still mark out for stuff occasionally. Witness the "show your open apps as a stack of windows so you can flip through them" demo in the keynote.
6. Lots of people have used my WTL articles. I had 3 total strangers come up and introduce themselves, saying they recogized my name and they had really liked the articles. Now I feel bad for not updating them for so long since some of the code won't compile in VC7.
7. An Alienware laptop can double as a leg exercise machine, plus the heat will soothe your muscles afterwards.
7a. I want one.
8. The first feature people will want to turn off in Longhorn is the glow that moves across progress bars. Yuck.
9. The first feature that shareware devs will steal from Longhorn and make work on XP is the thumbnails for minimized apps when you point at their taskbar button.
10. TaskDialog() and TaskDialogEx() - at least someone is looking out for us "crusty old Win32 developers."
11. The BoFs I attended turned out to be busts, but at least I got a nice shot of the Convention Center at night[^].
12. Being right next to thousands of free t-shirts [^] is a sub-optimal location to find oneself in.
13. The beta version of 1ClickPicGrabber[^] caused a reproducible bluescreen on Longhorn beta 2.
14. Avalon is going to make for some really nifty animation/gfx apps... and some really annoying ones too. Videos playing in realtime on playing cards?[^] Imagine everyone doing that...
Don Box is quiet a guy. I saw him speak at TechEd 2000 in Amsterdam, where he spent the entire lecture behind a lectern. When he finally stopped speaking, he walked out onto the stage and he had't been wearing any trousers the entire time Very funny guy and not afraid to tell it how it is.