1. Have two instances of SQL Server running on same box
2. Have data of geo/geom spatial type on one instance.
3. Have created a target table of the same types on second instance.
4. Have EXECUTE's "sp_addLinkedServer" on both instances so each can see each other's tables.
5. Can successfully make a SELECT query of the geo spatial data from one to the other using OPENQUERY
6. As prescribed by excellent sqlserver2k8 help, SET IDENTITY_INSERT of the target table (local) to ON.
7. Have run select in the form:
INSERT INTO [local].[gstable_01].[dbo].[target]
SELECT [id],[GeomCol1],[GeomCol2] FROM OPENQUERY([remote], 'SELECT [id],[GeomCol1],[GeomCol2] FROM [remote].[gstable_02].[dbo].[origin]')
8. But all I get is this error
Msg 8101, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
An explicit value for the identity column in table 'gstable_01.dbo.target' can only be specified when a column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.
As I stated in the title of this Question, both of these keywords, OPENQUERY and IDENTITY_INSERT, are to be found nowhere in any posts in Q&A. As far as all the other stuff regarding either of these words seperately is concerned, I've read the posts and some of those answers are even defective as is. So don't bother to search there for something to reiterate here.
Thanks in advance.