Copy/pasted from below link:
DataGrid, GridView and DataList controls are derived from the WebControl class, while the Repeater control is derived from the Control class. The WebControl class contains a number of properties, such as BackColor, ForeColor, CssClass, BorderStyle and so on. In ASP .NET basically there are four kinds of the Data Presentation Controls.
GridView (more options) DataGrid DataList Repeater (less options) List of different abilities of Repeater Control, Datalist Control and GridView Control features.
Features of a GridView and DataGrid:
Displays data as a table Updateable Item as row Control over Alternate item Header Footer Colors, font, borders, etc.
- Limited in design, works like an html table. More in built functionality like edit/update, page, sort. Lots of overhead.
- Old version of the Gridview. A gridview is a super datagrid.
- more customisable version of the Gridview. Also has some overhead. More manual work as you have to design it yourself.
- the new Datalist. Almost a hybrid of the datalist and gridview where you can use paging and build in Gridview like functionality, but have the freedom of design. One of the new controls in this family
- Very light weight. No built in functionality like Headers, Footers. Has the least overhead.