I have some old C++/C source code to reuse recently and I have to install Visual Sutdio 6 on my Window 7 (64-bit). here are the steps I went through and share with each of you.
I did some research on google and find these links:
1. how to install Visual Basic 6 on Windows 7:
2. how to install Visual C++ on Windows 7:
the answer from Andre Zielger is useful, but for 32 bit. from link 1) I created a zero size DDL under C:\windows. So I followed combined steps to run through the installation steps.
1. create zero byte file MSJAVA.DLL under : C:\Windows
it will let installation to skip Java update check.
2. you need to install Visual Studio SP6. google this and you will it on msdn:
3. do not use wizard. run setup.exe as administrator
4. from start>all programs>Visuall Studio 6.0 > Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0, right click and run as administrator. you are ready to go.
do NOT set up anything like link 1) update section. otherwise you can not create project correctly.
Points of Interest
I agree install Visual Studio 6 on Windows 7 is related with permissions. but there are some tricks from link 1) to follow and install SP6.
Have fun in programming!
1. first release on 06/22/2012.