Click here to Skip to main content
12,751,993 members (29,341 online)
Rate this:
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.
See more: MFC
To start, I've been chasing this problem for days and have hit a wall so I've landed here begging for some insight.

Here's the situation:
I have a multi-document app, 6 different document types and each are viewable through a tabbed interface. Of these 6 different document types, one does not have the problem that I am about to describe. There difference between that one document and the others is that it is a single page document while the other are multi-page.

The problem:
When I print a document (even when I print just 1 page as selected via the print dialog) then follow that with a second print request (1 page for example) the page prints with huge fonts. Eye balling the output it would appear to be a 24 point font at least. The problem persists on subsequent print requests, until I do a print-preview. Once I do a print preview, which will work just fine (sometimes the printpreview will have the same large font problem but a 2nd print preview request will correct the problem), then follow that by another print request the printed output will be perfect: whatever is screwed up is corrected by the interveening print preview request.

This is driving me crazy: I cannot see any substantial difference between between the document that behaves correctly and the documents with the problem. I have gone line by line comparing the different sets of print logic and again, there is no substantial difference between the one with the correct behavior and the ones wth the problem.

I'm not looking for a solution, just a place to start as: I have exhausted every possibility I could imagine, scoured posted questions / solutions here and at CodeGURU, etc.

For reference, I'm using Visual Studio 2005, C++ / MFC. The view window for all employs CScrollView / QZoomView (enables a zoom capability for views). I had initially thought QZoomView was the cause of the problem but none of the print activities are handled in QZoomView.

Any and all suggestions appreciated
Posted 18-Nov-11 1:32am
Rate this: bad
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.

Solution 1

Dots on screen do not map 1:1 to dots on paper. You need to change the image mapping mode for the different ouptut device context as described here[^].
Roger Allen 18-Nov-11 9:55am
This is true, but the standard MFC print preview architecture takes all of that into account for you. Unless he is directly messing with the mapping mode, I see this as a red herring.
Richard MacCutchan 18-Nov-11 12:35pm
Are you sure about this? It's a long time since I've used MFC but I certainly remember going through this issue myself when trying to print.
Mike Gaskey 18-Nov-11 14:35pm
I added TRACE statments in key locations in the print and print preview related routines and the mapping mode is changed, at various times it is: MM_TEXT, MM_LOENGLISH and MM_ANISOTROPIC. I'm not sure it matters though since it corrects itself after the 2nd print preview request. I'm reviewing the TRACE output to see if I can identify a problem. Thanks.
Rate this: bad
Please Sign up or sign in to vote.

Solution 2

Is your OnPrint code returning the HDC's supplied in the same state as when you received it?
Mike Gaskey 18-Nov-11 14:35pm
I'll check and thanks for the suggestion.
Mike Gaskey 20-Nov-11 14:23pm
Well I solved the problem. To sort of recap: the map mode chages I referenced earlier were valid, changes between screen display and print output. I could see no problem with the HDC's. What I did identify as the problem was the deletion of fonts at the end of the print process and subsequent recreation on the next print function. Establishment of fonts was controlled by a *first time switch* that I had reset at the end of the printing operations, which then drove the deletion and recreation the next time around. Killing the reset cleared up the problem though in all honestly I do not understand this behavior.

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I would have found the problem had I not gotten the advice from the both of you, that advice helped me to identify the problem by a process of elimination.

This content, along with any associated source code and files, is licensed under The Code Project Open License (CPOL)

    Print Answers RSS
Top Experts
Last 24hrsThis month

Advertise | Privacy | Mobile
Web02 | 2.8.170217.1 | Last Updated 18 Nov 2011
Copyright © CodeProject, 1999-2017
All Rights Reserved. Terms of Service
Layout: fixed | fluid

CodeProject, 503-250 Ferrand Drive Toronto Ontario, M3C 3G8 Canada +1 416-849-8900 x 100