If you want to base the design of a new template part on an existing template part, you must open the existing template part, change its name in the Template Part Properties dialog box, and then save the new template part with another, distinguishing file name. When you change the template part name in the Template Part Properties dialog box, the template part ID is updated automatically. This ID further distinguishes one template part from another.
- On the File menu, click Design a Form Template.
- Under Open a form template in the Design a Form Template dialog box, click on My Computer.
- In the Files of type list, click InfoPath Template Parts.
- Browse to and click the template part that you want to open, and then click Open.
- On the File menu, click Properties.
- In the Template Part Properties dialog box, enter a new name in the Template part name box.
When you do this, the identifying text in the Template part ID box reflects the new name. The template part ID is generated automatically by InfoPath. It must be unique for each new template part that you create.
- On the File menu, click Save As, and enter a new file name for the template part.